We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is MB best known for?

canada
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What is MB best known for?

Coming from the north - just wondering what MB is best known for?

We are planning a cruise for next year and realized that at the different ports there are "excursions" and notations on what the regions are best known for.

What excursions would you list if MB was a cruiseport?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is MB best known for?

If Myrtle Beach was a cruiseport, I would reconsider whether to book the tour. You can read about Myrtle Beach on Wikipedia, you can Google it, and you can explore this site's "Top Questions about Myrtle Beach."

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is MB best known for?

The only item I can think of to classify as "excursion" would be to take one of the river boat tours to see and hear about the old rice plantations and culture of that time. IMO, Myrtle Beach is best known for being a relatively inexpensive ,short term, vacation destination that combines an unusual amount of attractions for all ages and income levels that is just not found at most beach vacation destinations. The variety of interesting attractions, the large number of restaurants in every category from casual to fine dining, the abundant available golf courses. The list gets longer.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is MB best known for?

Whoa , great answer nanajayne and right on the money.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is MB best known for?

I have to agree with Nana here. If I was ona cruise and MB was a port we would stop in then I think I would have to walk the strip area where the shops are at, lay on the beach and play in the water for a few hours, and maybe grab a bite to eat (I said maybe because it is free on the ship). If I didn't do that then I would book an excursion and take a tour to somewhere south of MB and see about that.

canada
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is MB best known for?

Very good answer NanaJayne. Thanks so much to all!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is MB best known for?

To needabreakCanada:

1. Why do you like Myrtle Beach so much? I'm also from Canada and I know it is not because cheaper than VB. As you have to drive longer and have to spend more money for Gas and Hotels on the road to and from Myrtle beach.

2. The quality of the ocean and sand I found more poor than in VB. Plus 4 people from our 8 people team got problem from sea lice and we couldn't swim in the ocean.

I don't know may be it was just bad year for us, but we still don't want to try it again. So sad as we like to change places.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is MB best known for?

MB has something for everyone and that is why it's a great destination. Golf, beach, restaurants, shopping, activities,shows & entertainment. Also resorts that can accomodate everyone's budget. No matter what age,gender, income level or interest ,you can find it in MB.

canada
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is MB best known for?

Hit Evedana:

I love MB for the beachs,people and all the things there is to do in MB and the surrounding areas (charleston etc.).

I have found MB to be much cheaper than VB as far as the resorts (maybe because i usually do a private rental within the resorts).

We have never experienced "sea lice" and hope we never do. We have experienced Jelly Fish stings, but like sea lice I suspect those are few and far between. We have been stung once in 5yrs and never for sea lice, as I mentioned.

MB is the greatest as you can do nothing or everything. From my understanding of VB it is very limited.

So I say to each his own, but I couldn't imagine going anywhere else (the only time we do Florida is if we are doing disney etc.).

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is MB best known for?

I think sea lice is a hit and miss thing like Jelly Fish. I have had problems with them maybe twice out of going to MB all these times.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is MB best known for?

I think a concise history of MB would mention "shagging." The planters were among the first to use the beach for leisure/recreation, but this was a little further south (Pawley's Island).

Nowadays, I think it's best known as being a "full featured" affordable family beach destination World-class golf amenities and nearly limitless dining/entertainment options add icing to the cake.

evedana, if you compare rates in the off-season, or compare prices based on amenities, MB comes out a great value compared to any east coast beach destination. In fact, some of the northern east coast beach resorts are increasingly becoming unaffordable for the average young family.

Even with gas at $4./gal., our long drive to MB is still a money-saver.