We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check-In Traffic

Kentucky
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Check-In Traffic

We always arrive early in the day to MB, but I was just wondering how traffic is closer to the 4:00 check-in on a Saturday peak season?

I never chance it, but with the traffic issues that I witness of the people coming out of MB as I am coming in, I would assume it can get pretty slow? Just wanting to verify that I am making the right choice by getting up super early and pulling out to beat the rush.

Cincinnati, Ohio
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Check-In Traffic

I do the same thing and usually arrive in Myrtle Beach before noon. The traffic jam that you've seen leaving town is exactly what you'll see entering town in the afternoon. Arriving early is the smartest move, in my opinion.

You'll read all sorts of tips on this board about the "best route" to MB. If you arrive early in the day you can simply cruise down 501 trouble free. I go to the hotel and politely inform them that I'm in town early, write down my cell number, and go have lunch. A room always opens up early and I'm checked-in before that mob arrives, too.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check-In Traffic

Arrive early in shorts or swim suit and enjoy the pool or beach while waiting rather than sitting in traffic. I would much rather listen to the surf than to complaints about not moving.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check-In Traffic

I have seen 501 become a parking lot from noon until 6pm. The doesn't take into consideration the annual accidents that always happen during peak times from people trying to squeeze in which just causes more backups. Most hotels if you cannot check in will let you park and use a changing room. Hit the pool, find a few pool chairs, and take a nice rest. Be the first in line for check-in and avoid the mob. If you arrive early you should have a decent parking space. This always lets me make a few trips to the car without having to move it to unload it in front of the hotel with the rest of the mob.

Mount Airy, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check-In Traffic

I agree with PantherFan12, 501 is a gridlock from 11am/noon till around 6pm or so. I always get there early and wait for a room to open up.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check-In Traffic

For years we would leave the house around midnight for our 7 hour trip down. We had a three car caravan that would all pull out together. Those were hard drives down, but as I look back, it was also a lot of fun. No traffic at all the entire way. We would always stop and eat breakfast in Florence as soon as the restaurants opened. It just got to be too hard to wait around 7 or 8 hours for the room to open up after being on the road all night. We now leave at 3:30 a.m. and by the time we eat lunch and walk around BATB a couple of times, the room is just about ready. I wouldn't want to chance arriving during peak season much later than we do now.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
151 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check-In Traffic

Arrive early......

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Check-In Traffic

Is 501 a parking lot before or after the By-Pass?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,592 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Check-In Traffic

You mean Hwy 22?

Depends...sometimes before...but mostly after.

Look at the other threads on here about taking a different route in.

Like.....Rt. 9, then getting on 31.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Check-In Traffic

Certainly arriving early or late are better choices. BUT DO NOT Arrive at 9am and expect your unit to be ready. If you are renting thru a rental agency that tells you check in is between 3pm-5pm, you may be disappointed. Trust us we want you in as early as we can get you in your unit. We wish we could let everyone check in at 9 but its not possible. Summer time Saturday with hundreds of units turning, you are dependant on the person before you checking out on time, leaving unit is somewhat decent shape (that is always appreciated) and reporting any maintenance issues. It's not unusual for someone to check out Saturday, bring a list of things they think need attention, which in their week stay was no big deal but to the next person coming in could be a Tsunami of epic porportions.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Check-In Traffic

Agree with Hart 1 about not expecting the unit to be ready if you arrive early. Every once in a while our unit at the very best could be ready a little before 3:00, but most of the time it is right around the time on the paper. That is why we now time our arrival closer to 11:00 a.m. Eat lunch, walk around BATB, go to grocery, and hopefully then it is ready. Used to arrive in MB around 8:00 a.m and it just became too much waiting on room.