We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Specialties for a Gift?

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Local Specialties for a Gift?

We're going to MB for Easter week and our very nice neighbor is taking care of our cat and plants while we're gone. As I thank-you gift, I'd like to bring her back something specific to either Wilmington, NC or Myrtle Beach---but not some cheesy shot glass or plate marked Wilmington or Myrtle Beach.

Can anyone recommend some local specialty, especially some purely local food that will travel well in the car for a couple of days?

Thanks.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

You should be able to find something over at the stores at Broadway at the Beach. The Mole Hole, Tinder Box, Yankee Candle and the General Store there at Broadway has nice gifts. The General Store especially I would check out. You could definitely find something there. Good Luck!

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

My mom got a shirt at Del Sole at broadway at the beach and it changes colors in the sun lights rays. They have all kinds of things that change color. You may want to check that out.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Just an idea but - maybe find a really pretty bowl of some sort, then go to the beach and fill it halfway with sand and top it with seashells and other beachy items you find and maybe set a tea candle in the middle.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

By some chance. Are kids part of the picture? Neighbor close to them like a third Grandparent?

Ceramic/pottery shop near Ripley's at Broadway at the Beach. Pick out piece of pottery, kids create their "artwork" for their special neighbor, store cooks it.

Pick it up few days later or have it mailed to your home.

Local food? I know you have lobster up north. What about shrimp? Pack some in cooler for trip home. Might have to buy ice on the way home or seafood warehouse might have dry ice.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Just a few ideas...you may look at a few of the local wineries here, La Belle Amie or Silver Coast Winery, both have websites...and some great wines. There are a few neat shops at Broadway..I really like the "Love from the Carolinas" shop there...alot of options, locally grown tea, grits just to name a few. You may want to travel just a bit south of here to around the McClellanville area for one of the sweetgrass baskets, or hit Pawleys Island and some really cute shops there.

:)

Of course there is always SALT WATER TAFFY!

Almost Heaven West...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Buy them a Pawleys Island hammock.

http://www.pawleys.com

It will cost you some $$ but they will get to use it for many, many years.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Barefoot Landing would also offer some good options.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Didn't even think about La Belle Amie but that's a great idea and they have some delicious wines.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Specialties for a Gift?

Thanks to all for your thoughtful suggestions!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach