We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Question

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Route Question

My family and I are traveling from Cincinnati OH the week of Aug 12. We will be going through Mt. Airy NC on the way down. I have read in previous posts that 501 is a mess on the weekends, and plan on taking the 74/410/9 rout out of Rockingham, on the way in. We will be going straight back to Cincinnati on a Friday and all the direct routs have us going out 501 to I-20 in Florence, do you think 501 would be OK getting out on Friday morning, or would someone suggest a different route? I don't mind driving a little farther, I just hate sitting in non-moving traffic. Thanks

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Question

Yes, 501 should be fine when you leave on Friday morning. It's rarely a problem on days other than Saturdays.

indiana
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Question

I would still avoid 501 and take the 22 bypass from mb. At least you miss all the stop and go traffic.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Question

On a Friday morning...most of the traffic will be coming IN to Myrtle Beach. If you are near Rt. 22, which is in the northern end of Myrtle Beach, then go ahead and take that to 501. You should be fine. (personally, I would still take that 9,701,410 route back too....avoiding Florence and Charlotte...which might be crazy on a Friday!)

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route Question

In many trips I have found that only Saturdays are that bad on 501. Other days not nearly as bad, and that comes after more than 50 trips there in the past 15 years.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route Question

501 should be ok to exit the beach on a friday. My only advice would be to take 95 to I-20 and avoid downtown Florence. Just before Florence you will see an I-95 sign. You will take 95 for about 10 miles and hit I-20. It will allow you to bypass all the redlights.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route Question

501 should be ok to exit the beach on a friday. My only advice would be to take 95 to I-20 and avoid downtown Florence. Just before Florence you will see an I-95 sign. You will take 95 for about 10 miles and hit I-20. It will allow you to bypass all the redlights.

7. Re: Route Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:17