We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Just got back from Myrtle Beach

First thing the beaches are very nice and clean.the water was so warm that was great.now getting on to the drive.I drove from the Pittsburgh area.total drive time one way 12 hours.I did use the 501 I arrived around 6:30 PM on the14th the traffic was OK not a parking lot like some had suggested.rented a boat for fishing that was fun had a great time caught quite a few fish.I know people say its laid back here,I did not see it.seems like everybody is in a hurry and long lines everywhere.if you have every been to the OBX then you know what laid back is all about,I'll be going back to the OBX from now on.another thing the people from South Carolina have got to be the rudest and inconsiderate drivers I had every seen.so will I ever go back,never.I left a day early should have been two days early.

N. GA
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

WOW! Sorry you had a rough trip. MB varies depending on the time of year you visit. I am not an expert but I daresay you picked the busiest month. It would have a whole different feel at another time of year. Regardless, I know what it is to look forward to a vacation and be disappointed. Sorry that was the case for you.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
619 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Wow! That is quite a negative review. We have traveled to Myrtle Beach many times and always found the people of South Carolina to be kind and considerate - in their driving and in every other way. We have traveled at peak season and low season and many times in between and have always enjoyed our trips and met many wonderful people. Maybe the message here is....you get what you give.

Little River SC
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Wow indeed. Moved here in December after vacationing 8 years, in part because everyone we met was always so sweet. And driving here has never been an issue contrary to what people say about the traffic. (Try driving in Boston!). My only SC driving complaint is that quite a few drivers don't understand that you pass in the left lane, not drive all the way down the highway. Finally, although those inconsiderate drivers you met may have had SC plates, its possible they were from somewhere else and driving a rental car. Enjoy the Outer Banks!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

I find its the OUT OF TOWN drivers that are the rudest, most of the SC plates you see are retirees and other people who have moved here from up north. I venture to say the entire Grand Strand Population consists of more yankees then locals. You can just imagine those of us who live here we would LOVE I-73 to be approved and built. But always some "slug" or "worm" that has to protected, or some issue. Don't think I didn't hear 100 times today, how bad the traffic is. We know it is. We are sorry if we could fix it and every other thing that vacationers complain to us we would. If you are a miserable person in your own house please don't bother coming to the beach, you will be more miserable and in turn make us miserable. 9AM IS NOT CHECK IN TIME for the millionth time. We want you in more then you want in, TRUST US, but we can't make the guest leave the day before so your room can be cleaned and ready when you arrive after driving all night~!

East Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Did some of you not read that I said the beaches were very nice and I loved the fishing.I checked in around 7:00 Pm,not 6:30 Am.I don't understand how they let very young people drive around the streets on golfcarts.as far as the rental cars,all the cars that rode my bumper or keeped cutting me off were at least 5 years or older,so they were not rental cars.don't get me wrong Myrtle is very nice I just think it seems to be more of a party town compared to the OBX.The only reason I was down there was because of Mustang week,I have a classic car that allmost got hit daily.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

No one denies that traffic is a problem in MB, locals or visitors. This is a very popular destination+++means lots of people +++means lots of traffic. I tell my guests to expect it and offer alternate routes to get around to avoid the heaviest traffic and grid lock areas. Try to avoid Bus 17 and 17 Bypass where there is heavy traffic every day or at least learn to travel at the least busy times, definitely not the 4:30 -6:30 PM slot when thousands are going out to eat plus the regular traffic on 17. That is the reason that we try to come in the "shoulder seasons" when there is less traffic in 30 days than in a week in the summer. Myrtle Beach is great, but it is certainly not secluded.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Sorry your vacation was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. I'm not sure if anyone here gave you the impression that MB is as "laid back" as OBX, but actually, they're pretty much polar opposites. You probably would have enjoyed Pawley's Island much more.

As for your comments about the drivers, although I've never mentioned it here, I agree. Since I only drive 5-10mph over the speed limit, I normally encounter some degree of rudeness almost every time (and anywhere) I drive, but have noticed on all of my trips to MB that it seems to occur more often there.

Impatient tailgaters, swerving from lane to lane to get two car lengths ahead, cutting people off, etc. Last visit had a loud pickup truck pass me on the shoulder in heavy traffic...he was angry I wasn't tailgating the car in front and wanted to squeeze in there. And yes, plenty of "left lane cruisers."

Nearly all SC plates. Often wondered if it's because I DON'T have one?

But I don't notice this elsewhere in the state. Maybe MB's demographics are not representative of the rest of SC, and obviously, a lot of locals moved there from somewhere else.

I'm sure the nearly year-'round traffic caused by visitors probably irritates the locals, as it does in my hometown. Makes it take longer to get to the store and their jobs. But for a lot of them, it's those very lane-clogging visitors that enable them to have their jobs.

All I can think is: "you're at the beach, everyone, chill out, you'll get there."

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach traffic is not as bad as what we put up with in N.J. Monday tru Friday at morning and night rush hours.I was there the 1st 2 weeks in July and had no problems.Well maybe the one day traveling 17 business ,but that was actually in Surfside Beach.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Just a couple of quick points, if I may. First, what part of MB did you stay in? I've done MB in July and stayed at the northern edge of town and found that the crowds weren't that bad in that area. Something to consider. I would agree that MB is more congested than the Outer Banks, but I think that's clear from just looking at any photo of the area. Second, if I had a nickel for every "{insert location here} drivers are the rudest," I'd be able to afford a trip to the beach. I've heard it about drivers in North Carolina, Pittsburgh, New York, DC, you name it. I notice a lot of bad driving around tourist areas. I think you just need to be on higher alert whenever you travel to "vacation destinations," as it were. Just my 2 cents.

10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from Myrtle Beach

Would anyone say North MB is different - less touristy?