We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Been to Virginia Beach before and didn't really enjoy it - found it to be a bit tacky and a lot of riff raff around......reminded me a bit of Niagara Fallss...

How does Myrtle compare? A bit more upscale?

What's it like the last week of August before labourday weekend?

Travelling with 9 and 10 and planning to stay at the Royal Palms....if anyone has comments about our choice?

Thanks,

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Myrtle Beach is part of the Grand Strand, which is 60 miles long! There are some "tacky" areas, and there are some affluent areas. I would recommend looking in the Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach areas (which are in the southern part of the Grand Strand) if you are looking to get away from the crowds and the amusements.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

"Upscale" does not describe Myrtle Beach at all. There are some nice upscale hotels, sure...but, MB is a very family friendly, action packed, high energy area. Now..you can sit on the beach, enjoy your hotel area (which, Royal Palms is a good area..right between Myrtle Beach...and North Myrtle Beach) and you can be as laid back as you want. Your kids will enjoy all the activities at Broadway at the Beach...and Barefoot Landing. Might be lots of "riff raff" down in the strip area, where the Sky Wheel is. But..end of August is pretty quiet (compared to other summer weeks...a lot of kids are back in school by then) Go, enjoy...your kids will love it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Thank u.

These areas u mentioned. Where are they in relation to the royal palms?

What is the area of the RP like in terms of niceness or activities and how close or far is it from the action? Can u walk to anything or must u drive?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Thank u.

These areas u mentioned. Where are they in relation to the royal palms?

What is the area of the RP like in terms of niceness or activities and how close or far is it from the action? Can u walk to anything or must u drive?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

I have to laugh because when we went to Niagra Falls we said it reminded us of downtown Myrtle Beach...without the beach!

That doesn't take away from the beauty of the falls just as the tacky, central part of MB doesn't take away from the beach or all the rest of the "Grand Strand".

Downtown does look like a carnival but there is so much more to it either north or south of that area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Thank you to everyone who has responded so quickly!!!

I think I a beginning to understand the lay of the land so please correct me if I am wrong...

1) There is the busy, maybe tacky central section which is full of activities and the life - correct? Is there a name for this particular area?

2) There there other areas, still within myrtle beach, BUT north and south of this busy area - which aren't so busy/tacky?

And if I am understanding this correctly - then were would the Royal Palms fit into that puzzle? What is immediately around it? Would we be AWAY from the craziness.....with the option to walk/drive in when we fell like action?

And I would assume that there are restaurants scattered along the entire strip?

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Restaurants really are all along, with concentrations in areas like "Restaurant Row", Calabash and Murrells Inlet where there really is nothing except restaurants. You can stay anywhere between Little River and Murrells Inlet and be within a fairly short drive to all attractions.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

You'll find MB to be much larger than VB with many more nice hotels, restaurants and entertainment. I think the whole VB area is a bit rough myself and find that many areas of MB are much nicer in general. For some reason VB doesn't seem to get new buildings much and MB has lots of them along the beach especially. MB and VB, like most places, is all what you make of them while you're there. Go anywhere with off-the-charts expectations and you're likely to be disappointed.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Royal Palms is part of Kingston Plantations which is a very nice resort. There are 2 hotels, Hilton & Embassy Suites, 5 condo towers and many cottages and villas. All the hotels and condos are beach-front and are connected by a boardwalk along with a water-park and many pools. There is also a high end health club there with a large indoor pool and gym. I believe Royal Palms is the newest condo tower and is connected to the Hilton. Make sure that you rent directly through the resort so that you can use the water park and health club. The resort has 4 restaurants at the 2 hotels. It is located between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach on a beautiful 1/2 mile of private beach directly across from a golf course. Within a mile or two of the resort there are several grocery stores, numerous restaurants, and the Tanger Outlet Mall. It is also very close to Barefoot Landing. Great place to stay.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Myrtle similar to Virginia Beach???

Royal Palms is part of Kingston Plantations which is a very nice resort. There are 2 hotels, Hilton & Embassy Suites, 5 condo towers and many cottages and villas. All the hotels and condos are beach-front and are connected by a boardwalk along with a water-park and many pools. There is also a high end health club there with a large indoor pool and gym. I believe Royal Palms is the newest condo tower and is connected to the Hilton. Make sure that you rent directly through the resort so that you can use the water park and health club. The resort has 4 restaurants at the 2 hotels. It is located between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach on a beautiful 1/2 mile of private beach directly across from a golf course. Within a mile or two of the resort there are several grocery stores, numerous restaurants, and the Tanger Outlet Mall. It is also very close to Barefoot Landing. Great place to stay.