We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused on which area and where to stay?

mississauga
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Confused on which area and where to stay?

I am travelling with my husband and 10 year old and will be in myrtle beach on August 20 for 3 or 4 days.

Our main priorites are beach, nice & clean accomodations. We don't need kitchen, living room etc. because we are staying only a few days.

We don't need to stay where there is tons of action but we would like to walk if possible (we will have car too) to activites, shops, restaurants.

thanks for any advice...

Erwin, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

The North Myrtle Beach area sounds like it would work for you. Its close to Barefoot Landing and plenty of places to shop and eat. There are a number of decent places to stay. I would just start checking hotels and reading reviews. Keep in mind that there is always something bad to be said about most of the hotels so try to keep an open mind. We've stayed all up and down the coast and taken a chance on a couple hotels with some bad reviews and were not disappointed. Have a wonderful stay...you will enjoy it!!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

After mid August few of the hotels will be sold out. It will take up a little of your time, but you will be able to ride around and take your choice of where to stay after asking to see the room you will be in. That way you can select a place that is near what interests you. This definitely will not work mid summer.

mississauga
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

thanks for your replies. that is a great suggestion to try and book when we are there. i check online and found Anderson and they are over 90% booked.

it may be risky..

i like anderson but might be just a bit too much.

thx

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

We've gone down in winter without reservations, and had great results. Many hotels have "walk in specials" listed on the marquees.

nanajayne would probably know better than me, but I'd be hesitant to do this in August. I'm sure you'd find something, but maybe not your first or second choice. The more popular places may still be booked, especially on weekends, and some places still require a minimum stay length until after Labor Day.

We prefer the far north and south ends; quieter and less crowded beaches. Most places have restaurants/stores/mini golf etc. within a two or three block walk, but staying in the low number Aves. will put you closer to the downtown strip and main attractions.

The Anderson is very nice, but if your 10 yo wants water amenities, take a look at Breakers, Caribbean, or Compass Cove, just to name a few.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,993 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

Coming from that far away, I would want to have a reservation in hand and know that I have a place to stay. Still lots of tourists in the area that time of August. Look at Breakers, Long Bay, Carolina Winds, Ocean Reef, Beach Colony. Good luck.

mississauga
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

thanks.. I am a planner so not booking a hotel makes me nervous. My husband on the hand think it would be fun, or at least remembers how much fun it was 20 years ago with his buddies.

i will check the recommended hotels out.

many people recommend Breakers - is that a good location and nice and clean?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

The Anderson is a very good resort in a location that will allow you to walk to many attractions and you are very close to Broadway at the Beach. The big negative that I found at the Anderson is that the pools are quite small and your 10 year old will not be trilled. My favorite resort is the Caribbean which has the best water amenities on the strip it's 2 blocks north of the Anderson and it's the last resort on the strip so you are not sandwiched inbetween hi-rises. You should also check out the Breakers and Camelot. Good luck.

Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

I highly recommend staying at Compass Cove. Nice, clean and spacious resort on S Ocean Blvd. Plenty of pool activities for your 10 yr old. Good Luck and Have Fun.

Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

I highly recommend staying at Compass Cove. Nice, clean and spacious resort on S Ocean Blvd. Plenty of pool activities for your 10 yr old. Good Luck and Have Fun.

10. Re: Confused on which area and where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 17:18