We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: August 4-11th

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: August 4-11th

This is the first trip report I have written. I have been to Myrtle Beach many times over the last 20 years or so, but I still used TA before our trip to help with lodging, restaurants, and things to do. I didn’t post many posts, but I lurked and read a lot. I wanted to write this report in case it can help someone else like many of you helped me.

Traveling were myself (30), DH(mid 30’s), and our 2 DS (4 and 6). We stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort. I hope to write a very detailed review of the resort soon. In short I will say that while it’s not a 5 star property it is a nice option for Myrtle Beach. We were very satisfied for the price. In fact we agree that it is possibly the nicest place we have ever stayed at in Myrtle Beach (based on what you get for the price). We have stayed at many resorts/hotels/condos over the years ranging from large to small places including The Windsurfer (Sandy Beach’s sister property), The Camelot, and Carolina Winds. We had narrowed our options down this trip to The Caribbean (we wanted to stay in the Jamaican tower since it’s newly remodeled) or the Sandy Beach. We weren’t able to book until the last minute so the Sandy Beach won since the Caribbean was fully booked.

All of our days were very similar. We would get up and eat breakfast in (loved the kitchen at the Sandy Beach because I could cook breakfast and still see out to the ocean) or get donuts (Dunkin Donuts was a short walk away). Then we would get ready and spend our mornings at the beach/pool. Most of the time we would take a break for sandwiches in the room then go back to the pool for a few more hours. In the evenings we went to dinner then found something fun to do. Here is our evenings by date minus the 4th which we spent grocery shopping and relaxing in the room.

Sunday the 5th: Dinner at Mr. Fish. This was our first trip to Mr. Fish and we weren’t disappointed. The kids had chicken tenders and fries. It’s a great deal because they also get a drink and cookie for only $5. I had the boom boom Shrimp tacos which were very good. DH had the black and blue tuna sandwich. I didn’t try it but it looked great and he said it was. We meant to eat there again but ran out of time. We will definitely try something different and eat there on our next trip. After dinner we went to Market Commons. We have only been there once before and it was right after they opened. There are several more stores and restaurants open now. We enjoyed browsing through a few shops and the boys loved the fountains and playgrounds. We also stopped in the Piggly Wiggly for some adult beverages. The Market Commons location has a great wine and beer section.

Monday the 6th: We stayed in and ordered Ultimate California Pizza. In the past this has always been a must for me. However last year and this year the pizza was only ok so we might try a new pizza place next trip. I signed up on their website and they sent me a coupon for a free order of wings and breadsticks with the purchase of a large pizza. We got a large Big Kahuna (basically a supreme/loaded pizza) which was ok but not great like in years past. The free breadsticks were not good at all. They were similar to the ones at Olive Garden. The wings were just ok. They were kind of soggy but did have good flavor. It was a great deal to feed our family of 4 though for less than $30 after tip and tax. After dinner we walked over to Family Kingdom. We didn’t end up riding any rides, but the boys liked looking around. After we went to the ice cream shop on the corner (I believe the name was Daddios). We ended up going back there 3 other nights. Loved the soft serve twist (vanilla and chocolate) cone. Good value at $11 for ice cream for 4 of us.

Tuesday the 7th: We ate a late lunch so we weren’t hungry at dinner time. After a snack we went to Broadway at the Beach for Fireworks. It was busy but not crazy crowded like other times we have been there. We did some window shopping and watched the firework show at 10pm which was fun. After we stopped at Sonic for a burger and ice cream. It was nothing spectacular but it was close to 11pm and there weren’t many options at this time of night. They did have a sign up to text a number and get deals. I did this and got $1 off of our order.

Wednesday the 8th: We went to Sara J’s in Garden City for dinner. I have been going here since I was a teen. As usual the food was great. DH had the fried seafood sample that came with fish, shrimp, scallops, develed crab, coleslaw and baked potato. He said it was very good. I tried a shrimp and it was yummy. I had the blackened mahi-mahi and it was great. The portion size was huge. They gave me two very large pieces of fish. I was only able to eat one and my potato. This meal also came with a salad (not very good just tasted like something out of a bag) and they serve hushpuppies with your drinks that are very tasty. The boys had chicken tenders (this is their normal dinner on vacation) and fries which were good as well but nothing special. After dinner we went back to our hotel to watch the fireworks. They shoot fireworks off of the 2nd Ave Pier every Wednesday at 9:30. We watched from our balcony. They were a little late starting (9:45ish) but the show was worth the wait. It was a great show that lasted around 10-15 mins. I personally thought the fireworks were better and more plentiful than the show at Broadway at the Beach. Even if you aren’t staying at a resort nearby I would suggest driving down and watching the show from the beach (just don’t forget a towel or chairs).

Thursday the 9th: Dinner was at River City Café at Barefoot Landing. We wanted to try the one in Surfside but we got a late start so we decided to go to this location then browse Barefoot Landing shops. We have been to this location before (2 years ago) and the food and service was great. This time not so much. We got there around 9pm and sat out on the balcony. They were not closing as they sat other tables after us, but they were cleaning up around us. Also our service was not very good. Had to ask another server to bring stuff when ours ignored our requests. The food was just ok as well. Did use another coupon though and got BOGO burger platter. Our boys ate dinner at the hotel so our total for 2 burger platters, one drink, tax and tip was only around $16. Honestly glad we didn’t spend more because the burgers were just ok. The fries however were very fresh and good. After we walked around Barefoot Landing and got the boys some ice cream. Not sure the name of the place but it was homemade chocolate custard and very good.

Friday the 10th: We decided to try Bimini’s on our last night. We got there early around 5pm and there was no wait. We were glad we did too because when we were leaving a little after 6 there was a huge line outside waiting. I had the fried shrimp which was excellent. It came with fries and slaw which were both good. DH got the crab cakes which were just ok. We had never eaten here before, but would definitely try it again. Next time we will get a table outside. Inside was very noisy and they have a smoking/non-smoking section. Only problem is there are no walls up so you can still smell the smoke in the non-smoking area. There were several people drinking and smoking a lot. I have no problem with smokers, but it bothers my allergies so I try to avoid being in an enclosed area with it. After dinner we went back to Market Commons and then back to Daddios for more soft serve ice cream.

We had a great trip and can’t wait to return to Myrtle Beach again in the next year or two. We will most likely stay at the Sandy Beach again or try the Caribbean. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will help you if possible.

Nyc
Level Contributor
44 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Enjoyed reading your trip report. We were in MB the same week. We had a great time but sadly, it went too fast!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading it.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Debbie555Nyc, yes it went way too fast! It always does. Hope you had a wonderful trip as well!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
7,974 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Good report...thanks!! We wanted to try Mr. Fish this last trip, but time got away from us. Next time for sure.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Great report! Sounds like you had a great time. We were in Myrtle the week before, and one thing I must agree with was your comment about Broadway at the Beach not being so crowded. I was surprised that the place wasn't super crowded also. I kept commented to my husband how it seemed less crowded than in years past. The parking lot still had people parked all over the medians when we left, so maybe they were all in restaurants eating, LOL!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

Thanks for the report.I was curious to see if you would mention how loud Bimini's is.Probably the noisiest restaurant I have ever eaten at.Good food but cannot take the smoke and noise.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

TONYMIK, It was definitely one of the noisiest restaurants I have ever been in too. Between the noise and the smoke that's why we decided it's definitely going to be the patio next time!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

soccermominNY, there were people parked in the medians and all over the place on our visit as well. But yes it still didn't seem so crowded!

9. Re: Trip Report: August 4-11th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 21:17