We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak tour--recommendations

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak tour--recommendations

I love kayaking and would love to take a tour somewhere when I visit MB. I'm happy to travel a bit to find a good guide and good sights.

Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

You can book a two hour guided tour in Murrells Inlet that puts in at Oyster Landing in Huntington Beach SP. Call the education center to make reservations @ (843) 235-8755. Beginner oriented, no skills necessary. Fine for all ages. Wear old sneakers, not water shoes or flip flops.

If you have some experience and want a longer outing on a blackwater river river or cypress swamp paddling, here are two outfitters (I only have experience with the first one and they know what they're doing).

www.blackriveroutdoors.com

www.blackwateradventures.com

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

Here's a tip that "PawleysDude" posted back in March:

If anyone is looking for a different perspective of the MB area, I highly recommend the Coastal Kayaking tour offered Mondays by Huntington Beach State Park, from April through October. It's a 2-hour guided trip in Murrells Inlet, accompanied by a park naturalist who provides commentary on the environment and answers questions. It's easy kayaking, with all equipment provided, and requires no previous kayaking experience. We've taken family friends from 7 to 73, and everyone has thoroughly enjoyed it. It's worth checking out... www.southcarolinaparks.com/products/10002638

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

Oops, I'm gettin' quoted, better be careful what I say!! <:-)

Seriously, the kayak tour offered thru the state park is an excellent tour, well-run and very popular. It's beginner-level paddling in protected water and a beautiful environment.

As Daddio pointed out, Black River Outdoors run excellent tours at all skill levels. Their trips on the Black River in Georgetown County are fantastic. They also do a full-moon kayak tour in Murrells Inlet that is a unique experience.

Surf the Earth in Pawleys Island are also offering tours. Although I have not taken any of their tours, we have rented kayaks from them on several occasions and they are excellent folks to work with. http://www.surf-the-earth.com

This is beautiful kayaking country down here. I think you'll be pleased.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

Thanks so much for all the comments. I leave in the morning and will post a trip review with what I find.

Praying for sunny beautiful weather,

Karen

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

so there wouldn't be any kayaking in late november then?

thanks

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

ajax,

Little over a month ago we used J&L Eco-ventiures out of North Myrtle Beach. Google it for his web-site. Small husband and wife team. She does the booking and he guides the tours. Just from the few hours we spent with Justin I'd be willing to bet if you're willing to paddle in cooler weather he would be willing to guide you.

Several area tours available but I think his most popular tours are in the marsh and inlet areas behind Cherry Grove. We did a sunset tour up to the end of Cherry Grove to Waities Island. Uninhabited barrerr island. Educational..During the paddle he points out all the wildlife and explains things about the marsh. On the isalnd he walks with you for awhile talikng wildlife and then leaves you alone to venture around on your own for an hour or longer.

Pros and cons of low vs high tide. Low tide we really didn't get out into the marsh. Straight up the channel to the island. Positive is low tide is best time to hit the island. Shelling was unbelievable. High tide you paddle back into some of the creeks back into the marsh.

I don't know how he does it but while paddling he still finds time to pull out camera and photograph the trip. Pics of the marsh, wildlife and members of the group.

Our tour was $50 per head and optional $15 for CD of all the pictures he takes. Think he has shorter tours in the $40 range. Some of his longer, more expensive tours the CD is included in the price.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

I ended up going with Black River Outdoors and it was wonderful! They have a website and Facebook page. You might look them up to see if they are still going out. I'd guess they are. The guides are very knowledgeable and pleasant to be with. I'll go again when I'm there next.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

pop & salsa - thank you so much for the info

9. Re: Kayak tour--recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 02:16