We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hesitant about renting

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Topic
Hesitant about renting

Looking for a vacation rental in MB, but TripAdvisor reviews of some places are scary. Any recommendations for an oceanfront 2 BR 2 BA in the South Myrtle Beach area?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hesitant about renting

Compass Cove, Regency Towers, Hampton Inn, Ocean Park Resort.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
775 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hesitant about renting

Any reason you are committed to the South Myrtle Beach area? Going farther north you will find tons of places with positive reviews. What are some of the places you are looking at? People may be able to offer better insight than TA reviews.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hesitant about renting

Grand Atlantic, Paradise Resort and Holiday Sands South at SOuth Beach are some of your favorites in the southern end.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hesitant about renting

As I have written earlier, almost all reviews need to be taken with a "grain of salt", as they are someone's subjective opinion. Possibly one bad experience sours a visitors entire trip. One reviewer's post about our resort was very negative and contained several items that I know to be untrue. Then it ended with a statement that " they even try to give you a speeding ticket on resort property". Of course they observe speed limits, as there are many children present and walking to and from pools, lazy river, etc. But, then , some people think speed limits do not apply to them.

Of course if there are consistent recurring themes such as "dirty" , "run down" or such then there may be cause to be concerned.

Edited: 08 September 2012, 15:48
Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
418 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hesitant about renting

Stayed in the 2 bedroom, 2 bath penthouse at Compass Coe last year. It was very nice and updated. Price can be high depending when you go. We paid under $700 for 5 nights last week of March

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hesitant about renting

I like Mar Vista Grande in North Myrtle. It's an upscale property with lots of amenities, directly on the beach, clean, quiet and comfy. The only problem is that it has 3 and 4 bedroom condos, no 2's. But, if you're renting in the winter, it's worth looking into because the price of the 3 bedroom might not be much more than a 2 in a lesser property.

Grafton...
Level Contributor
154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hesitant about renting

You can rent nice condos on VRBO and I have always had good luck. Dont stay at Surfside beach resort, cause its not one. You are better off with a private owner in the south area I think,

Best of luck

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hesitant about renting

I agree with nana. What places are you looking at? Maybe we can help more.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hesitant about renting

Where ever it is know WHERE it is! It is 10:50pm at night and I just got a phone call from someone who has NO PAPERWORK, can't remember who they rented from and found our office phone number so they called to wake me up so I could try to help them figure out who they rented from. It NEVER ceases to amaze the number of people EVERY WEEK, that arrive with no paperwork and then have no clue where they are suppose to check in. Had 2 people today who did have their paperwork clear as day, big as an elephant, front page even, told them the name of the rental agency and the street address. Yet they came to our office, no where near the other one, no where near the same name. So for some people bringing it is no guarantee they will read or understand it. It is so frustrating that people don't prepare and read the info from the rental agency and BRING IT WITH YOU! I am quite angry to be woke up after working 6 days in a row by some idiot with no paperwork and no idea who he rented thru!!

yo. oh
Level Contributor
307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hesitant about renting

Welcome to TA!

As others have mentioned, there are lots of nice places on the 60 mile stretch of beach that makes up The Grand Strand. With The Grand Strand comprising a variety of different cities and towns and with the primary city being named "Myrtle Beach", it is easy to understand the confusion on location. The majority of people refer to the entire stretch of beach as "Myrtle Beach" - but in reality, the city of Myrtle Beach is only about a 10 mile portion of the Grand Strand.

So when you say "South Myrtle Beach area", are you looking for something in the south end of the city of Myrtle Beach - or looking for anything at the south end of The Grand Strand?. And any particular reason why you want the "South Myrtle Beach area"?

PS: Don't mind Hart, since today is a new day hopefully she woke up on the right side of the bed. She lives/works in "MB" and has a lot of insight and info on the area, but at times is not really part of the MB Welcome Wagon.