We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cincy
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Looks as though the only week we can attend in may is from the 11 to 18, which happens to be spring bike week or Harley week. What part of myrtle beach do most Harley week participants stay at? To avoid the bike crowd, should we stay in the northern area and avoid grand strand?

We have young kids who will be 5.5 and 2.5. This is our first visit to myrtle beach, should we consider this to be a deal breaker and look later in summer? Is the temp and water temp warm enough during early may to enjoy the ocean and pools? Will it be less crowded even though it is bike week versus a mid summer trip?

Thanks for the slap and advice.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

The Bike Weeks aren't half as bad as they were maybe ten years ago. Most of your biker bars and festivities are at south end of Grand Strand around Murrell's Inlet. You should be OK staying in North Myrtle Beach. You will have some bikes cruising up and down RT 17 and along Ocean Blvd but nothing like south end.

Been a few years but one year Cherry Grove section was very heavy with Hispanic bikers. Almost like they had their own Bike Week. Behavior wasn't bad at all. Was actually fun watching all the bikes and custom cars. Noise did get a litte old after a few days.

I'd look at Ocean Drive or Cresent Beach sections of North Myrtle. Pools should be plenty warm. Ocean may or may not be comfortable. Bikers spend little time on the beach or at pools. Shoiuldn't be any problem enjoying the beach during the day..

Shopping and attractions should be no problem in the evenings. Only minor problem will be lines for meals. Even during Bike Week the lines aren't as bad as during the summer season.

Traffic isn't bad during the day. You can venture to south end of Strand during the day and see few bikes. Early evening they start heading into Murrell's Inlet and traffic gets backed up.

Not as bad in NMB. Some traffic as they cruise around but not jammed up. Just be on your toes and give them plenty of room as they dart around changing lanes.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Just to clarify, the "Grand Strand" stretches all the way from Little River to Georgetown, so whever you stay, you'll be on the Strand.

And I agree with pop, other than a little highway noise, that bike week no longer has much impact unless you're staying near Murrells Inlet.

Now the Bla... (er, the Bike Week that centers around Atlantic Beach) would be a dealkiller for me. Been there,done that. Not an ideal time to bring young kids.

As for ocean temps, kids would be in, and some adults, others wait until June if warm water is a must.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

I also would not hesitate to visit during the Harley week in early May, but will never visit during the bike week at Memorial Day. However, I think you will hear a bit more than "a little highway noise". Even though most organized activities are south of Myrtle Beach, groups will be traveling around informally to see the sites. Harley's can be pretty loud, and what is cooler than driving up Ocean Blvd on a bike in the springtime ?

Let us know how it goes !

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Last March I was at the Caribbean during bike week and it was no issue at all, if you move a little further north you would even be futher removed. Look at Island Vista, the area around the Caravelle and Kingston Plantation. It's a great time to visit and many resort have the outdoor pools heated.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Went to M.B with small kids for about 10 yrs. straight. Every time during Harley Week. We always got a great deal on a condo and had awesome time. We DID stay in North Myrtle because it was quieter and if we wanted to see the bikes and the craziness we would drive 15 min. south. Bikers were always respectful and nice. Now...the bikes are pretty much gone. They used to get 300,000 people there, now it's down to less than half that. Go and have fun! Water will be nice in the pools, and the kiddies will love to wade in the ocean. Tell them to look close and they can see stingrays swimming by in 2ft. of water .

Lawrenceville...
Level Contributor
1 post
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

The city of MB has not been very friendly to bikers in recent years, so I think you'll find that most of the activities related to bike week will take place outside of the MB itself. I do ride a bike and am going this year, but I'll stay in the North Myrtle Beach/ Cherry Grove area and expect to have to ride the bike to whatever events we decide to attend. I am not going specifically for Bike Week, our anniversary is the 18th and my wife is a beach lover, so we often go during this time frame. I think you can safely have a great vacation without exposing your kids to anything dangerous or out of order and maybe get to check out some nice bikes at the same time.

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

I am jumping in here...We did go Memorial Day week about two years or so ago. That is when Atlantic Beach Bike week occurs and I will NEVER do that again. We beached in NMB the Cherry Grove section and to quote what I wrote on another forum

"This is when the Atlantic Bike Weekend really effected us. We took the new highways almost all the way down and then crossed into MB. The bikes where everywhere. I am a Harley girl and I have no problem with bikes and bikers. Great folks, most of them. This was LOUD even for me. NonHarley bikes have a different "sound" and this one aspect got on our nerves by far. The people were all fine but traffic was out of control and they were just hanging out on every corner. We would definitely not go this week again. No offense it just wasn't for us...sorry."

Just thought I'd add my experience!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

There are 2 diferent bike week and harley week in the middle of may is no problem but I also would not be in MB during the other week and Memorial weekend

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

Trying to be delicate...

Our last experience with Atlantic Beach Bike Week featured a few frightening incidents during which we didn't feel the bikers were courteously sharing the road with other motorists.

That's the sugar-coated version. If your children are of an impressionable age, I would seriously reconsider coming that week.

Mont Clare...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring bike week 2013 - is it a deal breaker

bike week for the harleys is not really an issue. you may have some who are nuts when riding and want to make noise but overall not bad. the bikers hate the city of myrtle beach and most will do all they can to avoid it because of that towns clowncil who has done their best to kill the bike weeks. but for some reason they seem to allow black bike week at end of month get away with alot more. as in any town though please be aware that you need to watch those around you. crime is high when compared to a city of its size. again this is anytime you travel and need to be aware. but please go have fun and spend some money. water is warm and the beach is free. i also would recommend north myrtle beach moreso than myrtle beach proper.