We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

We will be travelling from Northeast PA to Anderson, SC and looking for advice on using I-81 rather than I-95. How is the weather along the I-81 area for the next few days? We will be driving about 6 hours the first day.

Thanks for your help.

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

And where would be the best place to stop?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

You may be in the wrong forum...

Do you mean the town of Northeast, PA near Erie, or do you mean the north-east quadrant of the state of Pennsylvania?

If you mean the city, I would suggest stopping in Beckley, WV, Prinston, WV, or Wytheville, VA. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Beckley several times and it has always been a good stay. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g58856-d631243-…

Regarding taking I-77 South to Charlotte, then heading west vs taking I-81 South to I-26 East: Google Maps says it is about 14 minutes longer to take I-81 & I-26... But if you have time and can stop at Asheville, that is a nice town and worth the extra 14 minute drive ;o)

Hope this helps,

Later,

Mike

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

I just now saw you are from Bucks County, PA... So I am guessing you did not mean Northeast, PA...

From Bucks County, PA it appears Roanoke is about 6 hours and Wytheville is about 7 hours. I am sure you could find a nice hotel at exits around either of these cities... I usually use http://www.priorityclub.com/ but haven't stayed in either of these towns. Check reviews or wait for others to make a suggestion...

The time difference between the two routes would be about the same plus or minus a few minutes depending on your hotel's location...

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

I used to live in Pittsburgh for a couple of years and we often stopped in Beckley, WV on trips back to SC. Can't comment on I-81, as we stayed on 77 all the way to I-26 to head to Charleston.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

Regarding the weather:

weather.com/outlook/…

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

Thanks to all for the info. Yes, we are in Bucks County, PA. And we do use Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express all the time. Always great! Will check the weather on the site suggested.

Thanks again.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

My suggestion is to always get out of the mountains so you don't have to deal with fog, rain, sleet or snow. If you can stretch it, get into North Carolina on I-77 and stay in the Mount Airy area.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

You are smart to avoid 95. Jump over to 81, and head to Whytheville, VA. Lots of hotels in that area. From there head south on 77 to Charlotte, NC, then get on I-85 to Greenville.

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

We were in the mountains and did get heavy fog and plenty of trucks. Did stop at Holiday Inn Express in Roanoke and had quite a surprise in the morning when we came down to breakfast and met one of my nephews, who was in the area for the day on business. Very nice hotel and great breakfast.

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Northeast PA to near Greenville, Sc

It was a pleasure to use I-81 instead of I-95. I think traffic is heavier on the I-95 area of Philadelphia than it was on I-81. Let's hope it is the same going home.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach