We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No-see-ums or mosquitoes

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
No-see-ums or mosquitoes

Is there any No-see-ums or mosquitoes in Myrtle Beach in july?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

I had to google "No-see-ums" ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

I am not sure if "No-see-ums" or mosquitoes will be there but I have seen various insects throughout June and July both on and away from the beach ... they usually don't bother me much.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

No see ums is a pretty common southern phrase, If you are around the salt marshes, stagnant water, or areas where there isn't any wind you may run into trouble.

On the beach though, no way. you won't have any issues.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

No see ums also known as sand gnats. There will definitely be both in July. However, they are very rarely on the beach due to the breeze. Once you get off the beach you may notice them more.

The only time I can recall seeing mosquitos on the beach was years ago, one August when we had EXCESSIVE amounts of rain. There were more mosquitos than I had ever seen and I have always lived in the area. Despite the towns spraying for them, etc they were awful. They were even bad on the beach in the breeze. That was sort of a freak thing tho, fortunately!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

Never had a problem with either one. Biting flies were terrible on one of our September trips though. Had to wear bug spray any time we were out of the water. Only happened that one time.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

If you are attractive to the tiny (thus, the funny name) "no-see-ums", they can attack you even through a well-fit window screen. In fact, they are drawn to the opened windows because the breeze is blowing them in that direction.

No-see-ums are unpredictable. We've had them in early April, but not in July, and vice versa.

Plan to bring and use bug repellant. No point in spoiling your vacation with a bunch of bites.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

Never been bothered on or near the beach except by the biting flies. The almost constant breeze keeps all others away, but not the biting flies.Late last spring, the big pest was the "mottled stink bug". there was a heavy invasion of them all over MB. Unusual.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 21:45
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

Can't say I've ever had a bug problem with no-seeums or skeeters.

Have had some run ins with the large black flies on couple occasions. Last trip it seemed they were only a problem the day after a heavy rain. Need a few more trips with rainy days to decide if there is an actual connection between rain and flies.

8. Re: No-see-ums or mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:17