We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to MB in late July and it will be our first visit. I traveled to MB many years ago with family members but I don't remember much about it. We normally stick to Virginia Beach but we want to try something new plus there is a large price difference between the two. While researching accommodations, I've learned that MB and VB are very different. One of the aspects of VB that I love is that if we stay in an oceanfront hotel we can basically leave the car parked all week and walk to food and entertainment. I would like to have the same type of experience in MB.

I know that MB has a much shorter boardwalk area and it doesn't seem to be as condensed as VB. Is there a specific area or hotel that you all would recommend for 20-something's to stay in order to be in the middle of all the action at a reasonable price? I've went to the Visit Myrtle Beach website and compared the boardwalk hotels against TA reviews and I just feel that I'm overloaded with info but with no sense of direction. The plan is to stay 3 nights (either 7/23-7/26 or 7/24-7/27) and our maximum budget per night is $165.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

I think you will like the accomodations in MB better then VA. With that being said you need a resort that is central and will allow you to walk to many attractions, Bars and restaurants. You will be travelling during peak season so rates are at their highest. Take a look at Holiday Inn Pavilion, Dayton House, Best Western Carolinian, Camelot & The Breakers. All of these will put you where you want to be. I am not sure about rates but it may be doable. Good luck.

Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Also, to get the full MB experience it is best to have a car to drive to attractions. Hotels may be close to restaurants and the boardwalk but driving is almost a must.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 16:23
Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
920 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

The Breakers is your best bet....Lots of bar and restaurants, Pier 14, a Piggly Wiggly, and the Boardwalk are all within walking distance. Broadway at the Beach is about a $10 cab ride away. Staying at the Breakers, you can park your car and forget about it, pretty much unless you want to venture down to Murrell Inlet or the the HOB to catch a show. Having been to both MB and VAB, the accomodation at MB are far better, although I think the food in VAB is better....Overall though I would take MB over VA...Have fun.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Hands down, MB is more affordable than VB, and the accomodations are not only nicer, but you'll find multiple water amenities are pretty much standard at most of the decent sized properties.

BUT, just to spare you from "culture shock," MB's boardwalk is nothing like VB's; it's more of a beach level "seaside promenade," nicely done, but it has very few businesses along it (at least so far). Also, the accomodations in this stretch are mostly smaller older places. They aren't right on the boardwalk but merely connected to it by pathways. Can't think of any I'd want to recommend.

I think you'd be happier staying at one of the bigger hotels north of there, in the 20's (Aves N.) (Booardwalk runs between 2nd & 14th Aves. N). The blocks are short so you can still walk down to the boardwalk area. You will also find plenty of nearby stores, restaurants, bars, etc., but it's the bigger amusements/attractions/shows that are way more "spead out" than mostly along the boardwalk as in VB. So that's where getting the car out or taking a taxi would be required.

Have fun and please report back on how you felt MB "stacked up."

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

[quote=ChinaCatRider]

... Having been to both MB and VAB, the accomodation at MB are far better, although I think the food in VAB is better....Overall though I would take MB over VA...Have fun.

[/quote]

What restaurants in VB compare or are better than those in Murrells Inlet such as Drunken Jacks, Lee's Inlet Kitchen, Russells. I am always up for trying great places to eat!

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
920 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

I cannot specically recall the names of the Restaurants, but food over all for us is better in VA, given the proximity they have to the Chesapeake Bay, certainly anything crab related is far better in VA, also, we like the little mom & pop shops along the Blvd, for grabbing some pizza or subs, etc. which you just don't get down in MB.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Thanks for the info ChinaCatRider! I have enjoyed some of the mom & pop places at VB and agree with your assessment that they are better than the small mom & pop places in MB that I have tried. We did like Waterman's and Bubba's in VB, but I'm not sure they are on the same level as Lee's or Drunken Jacks. Maybe I need to eat at Waterman's and Bubba's a couple more times for a better comparison.

To clarify the differences in crabs to the OP: VB will most likely have Maryland Crab Cakes whereas MB (and Murrells Inlet) will most likely have Deviled Crabs. (In MB they may have a "crab cake" at some places but it is probably still Deviled Crabs, just without the shell). Be forewarned, Maryland Crab Cake and Deviled Crabs are very different... if you are used to Maryland Crab Cakes, you may not like Deviled Crabs. For the record, I personally like both, my wife likes neither, and many people only like one or the other.

www.stoneysseafoodhouse.com/solomons_pier.php has my favorite Maryland Crab Cakes and I like the Deviled Crabs at most places in the Murrells Inlet area.

Regarding crab legs, they are shipped in from elsewhere regardless which beach you visit (or so I have been told). How good crab legs taste will depend on how they were prepped/shipped/stored and how they were cooked at the specific restaurant.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 17:51
Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

You will find the same types of Crabs in MD and SC,The Blue Crab and the stone crab. In Gergetown they catch a large amount of Blue Crab and even though Stone Crab is usually further south they are found in both areas as well. A Devil Crab is really the seasoning used to prepare the dish, it has more spices added but its not a species of crab.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! (especially about restaurants) I've been doing a little more research about the area and I'm super excited about the activities (like zip-lining) so I don't think I'll be too worried about having to drive everywhere.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to Dayton House Resort and 3 Palms Oceanfront Resort. Both have great reviews here on TA and are within budget. But I noticed that Dayton has several buildings. Is there one that you guys would recommend me booking?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing accommodations - research burnout!

If you are talking about The Palms on 2500 Ocean Blvd you should go back and check those reviews again. They are not that good and not even close to Dayton House.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations