We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks?

Of course, as the name suggests, I love sharks (I know very weird!) Not that I want to meet any face to face on my swims this year, but where can you go to see them, any recommendations? Also, any suggestions on where and when to look for sharks teeth that come in form the ocean tide?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks?

I have seen dozens of small sharks caught on the Cherry Grove Pier....can see them up close and personal. Also able to see them up close at the Ripley's Aquarium.

Williamston, SC
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks?

I find sharks teeth everytime i go to MB. the best time i have found is lowtide. They seem to be on all of the beaches

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks?

Depending on the time of the year, you can see them along the coast around sunset (dusk)...especially if there are baitfish in the area (if you see a bunch of these smaller fish jumping, something bigger is chasing them!). I would also check out some of the water tours --- maybe the Adventure Cruise that runs out of Calabash (www.hurricanfleet.com)

Ripleys Aquarium does house a number of sharks...and with the tunnel that you can walk under, it makes you feel very up close and personal. In the touch tank there, there are some nurse sharks, they will sometime surface during a feeding period. And they do an educational session on sharks (just check at the customer service desk where you purchase your tickets).

You might also want to check out Huntington Beach State Park...just a bit south of MB. They have a wonderful interpretive center there and also do a class on sharks. The beach there is a good place to look for teeth too.

Other shark teeth locations would be around 45th Ave N to about 50th Ave N....some around 65th to 67th N and then around 84th Ave N to Apache Pier. Best time to look is at a falling tide, this way the teeth have a bit of a black gloss look to them, and are a bit easier to spot. Tide pools are also a good spot to hunt!

:)

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks?

If you go to the end of Springmaid Pier and people are cleaning fish then they are usaly around there once they through the fish guts away.

Gretna, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks?

Just as MBConcierge says, Ripley's Aquarium is a great place to see some sharks up close and personal. The tunnel that goes through the shark tank is magnificent. I have some pictures of my last visit if you would like an example of how close you can see them. The tunnel uses a moving walkway to propel you through, like an escalator, but you can step off and spend as much time looking at them as you like. I spent quite some time watching them swim right over my head, close enough to feel intimidated by the mouth full of sharp teeth thats for sure! It's a great attraction.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks?

I as well was going to suggest Ripley's Aquarium.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks?

is the MB Ripleys aquarium pretty much the same as the Gatlinburg Ripleys aquarium?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks?

Yep...run by the same company...not for sure tho' how much it differs from the MB Ripley's. With you being a biologist, you might want to ask at the guest services desk about doing a tour of their off site facility (their holding area) ...its really interesting.

:)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks?

Irish.. You will enjoy the acquarium... The boys do..

They have a nice gift shop too...

Omg.. are you sure you cant go when I go.. ... :)

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from MB late Friday night. We stayed at Compass Cove and had to leave the water because sharks were making their way down the beach. It was pretty cool seeing them swim by. The Life Guards did a good job of getting everyone out of the water. I think that was on Weds., then on Thursday evening my husband was fishing on the beach and caught a baby shark. He threw it back in, hopefully he survived. Pretty upclose and personal then too.

Deena

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations