We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming

Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming

does the ocean have a sandy bottom and how soon does it drop off?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
475 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming

Most of the beach does have a sandy bottom. May hit a few small sections with broken shells, but for the most part that is not a problem in the sections of beach I go to. Drop off would all depend on tide level I would think.

2. Re: Swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 06:05
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming

Yes, it has a sandy bottom. The reason they called it the Grand Strand in the first place is that Myrtle Beach is the finest natural beach on the east coast. It's a pity what we've done to it.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
458 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming

Pull up pictures of the beach from ads and realtor sites. Most of the beach pictures are at low tide. What you are seeing is the sea bottom when the tide is in. Nice and smooth with a gentle slope to it.

Might have to walk 50-60 yards out to get into four foot deep water. Pretty safe around there. Squat down a little and float. Three foot swell comes in raises you up off the bottom and then places you right back down.

A lot of those heads you see bobbing aren't in as deep as it looks. If they put their feet down they would be standing out of the water.

From time to time you might walk into a hole caused by currents but nothing bad. Keep walking and walk right back up out of it.

Slope of beach does change on occasions. Storms out on ocean can cause rough surf and tide that erodes a little more than normal. Week later every thing is back the way it was.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
822 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming

Well, me being 6' 5" I have never reached a point where my feet were not touching! Most places you have to go far out before it really drops off. The lifeguards would not let you go that far. Sometimes you will hit an area where it gets deeper then you find a sand bar and you are waist deep again. For enjoying the ocean or using a body board, you should have no problems with deep water.

6. Re: Swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 05:16