We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Hi all - our family is travelling to Myrtle Beach, by car, in August from Toronto. I believe the drive is generally around 15 hours, but we're planning on splitting it up into two days. The first day I plan on driving around 9-10 hours in order to leave a shorter 5 hour or so drive the second day.

Any recommendations on where we should stop - would love to find a reasonable hotel/motel just off the highway with a selection of restaurants nearby..

Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Many people from your area stop in Beckley, WV (exit 44 off I-77). Lots of hotels and resturants right off the exit. But it's about a 7 hour drive from there. So...Whytheville, VA would be a good place...or on to Mt. Airy, NC. Lots of hotels in both of those areas.

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Thx very much!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Wytheville is a great stopping point. Not sure what kind of traveler you are, but I would make sure to have reservations somewhere though. I found out the hard way a couple years ago that the hotels can fill up quickly. I will say though that there's a decent Days Inn and LaQuinta as well as a Red Roof Inn and several others there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Red Roof in Wytheville was great for our stopover. We are also from Toronto and like to get majority of our drive done the first day.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Beckley and Wytheville are both nice places to stop (I have stopped in both towns myself)... BUT if you want to have less than a 5 hour drive the next morning, I suggest at least going to Mt. Airy, NC.

Remember, when looking at map programs such as Google Maps, they typically take you to MB on US-501 but show travel time based on zero traffic. Realistically, it will be faster to take alternate routes that are longer distance and show as a longer drive time due to them having less traffic.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
9 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

We always stop at mt airy and use the holiday inn express. Clean and friendly and lots of restaurants nearby. About four to four and a half hours from there. Lots of other choices for hotels on that strip and easy access back to your route. Safe travels.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

We stop in Emporia, WV which gives us about 4 hours to MB on the next day.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Mellybelly007, do you mean Emporia, VA? http://goo.gl/maps/Bi9X0 (Anywhere in WV will be more than 5 hours to Myrtle Beach driving the speedlimit.)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Emporia, VA is if you are coming down on I-95. I think the OP is heading down the I-77 way.

montreal
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stop en route to Myrtle Beach from Toronto..?

Im leaving in 1 week to go to myrtle beach from montreal where is the best place to stop over tyvm?

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach