We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too cold over Christmas break?

Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Topic
Too cold over Christmas break?

We went in April and it was wonderful. Would we be wasting our money to take a trip in December? Do any of the hotels heat their outdoor pools in the winter?

Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too cold over Christmas break?

Not aware of any outdoor heated pools. There was some conflict with a few properties who erected temporary enclosures for pools and heated in the winter. I think that has been settled and is allowed again. Perhaps someone else remembers the names of some of them. We have been a few times around Christmas and it was not too cold, but too cool for ocean swinning for me. Great Christmas Shows at Carolina Opry and at The Alabama Theater.

Level Contributor
900 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too cold over Christmas break?

I believe Longbay Resort has heated pools. The average temp in Myrtle Beach in December is 60 degrees. With the Atlantic being cold anyway it is really cold in December. I went with my then GF about 8 years ago to visit her relatived in the middle of December and we didn't change out of our sweatshirts just once. So if hangin on the beach and swimming in ocean is your main reason to go then I would take some time to think about it.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Too cold over Christmas break?

I like winter time, but I don't know of any outdoor heated pools, THere are plenty of places with heated indoor pools and hot tubs.

Actually now that I think about it, the Bridgewater in Litchfield (bit south of Myrtle Beach in Pawleys) has an outdoor hot tub they keep going year round.

Myrtle is great in the winter though, no crowds, traffic is light and its not hot, keep in mind though it'll be the off season so you may encounter some places that are closed (Myrtle doesn't have the local population big enough to support everything)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too cold over Christmas break?

Quite a few of the oceanfront resorts have outdoor hot tubs, which are wonderful in December/January. We head to Myrtle Beach the week between Christmas and New Years. Most of the resorts we've stayed in have outdoor pools that are open for swimming, but not heated. Every so often one has been heated, but not consistently at all resorts. Sea Watch advertises outdoor heated pools - haven't stayed there in the winter, but they were heated in April. If you're hoping to swim, I'd suggest choosing a hotel that has indoor or indoor/outdoor pools so you can count on swimming. We enjoy that time at the beach - very few crowds and most things are open. Just don't count on swimsuit/shorts weather.

5. Re: Too cold over Christmas break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question