We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dogs on the beach?

Petersburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
dogs on the beach?

Its my understanding that dogs arent allowed on the beach between 10am and....5pm I think.

Are there any DOG FRIENDLY parts of the beach where dogs are allowed all day long?

Or can I travel outside of Myrtle Beach and find a dog beach?

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dogs on the beach?

In the summer, it is animal cruelty to have dogs on the beach between 10 and 6.

Petersburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dogs on the beach?

REALLY?

Now that is interesting......ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!

My dog on the beach under the beach umbrella with a bowl of water beside her. And going out for a swim once in a while.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dogs on the beach?

Dogs have to be either allowed or not allowed. Local governments can't pay enough people to allow gradations of enforcement, so laws and ordinances have to consider the least common denominator. Because there are people who would take a dog to bake in the sun, nobody can take a dog on the beach.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dogs on the beach?

You may take your pet on the beach at the state parks, but must still observe the leash law. While the sand does get very hot on a bright sunny day, the primary concern is very crowded beaches at times and that dogs can't go off the beach for a restroom. No one wants to sit or lie right where animals relieve themself and a percentage of owners will refuse to pick up after their pets.

Richlands, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dogs on the beach?

Q: Are dogs permitted on the beach? If so, when?

A: From May 1 through Labor Day, dogs are allowed on the beach only before 10:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m. From the day after Labor Day to April 30 each year, dogs are allowed on the beach at any time of day. At all times when dogs are allowed on the beach, they must be on a leash that's seven feet or shorter, and you must pick up and properly dispose of the droppings.

I got this off this site: http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/faq.html

Hope this clears up any questions!

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dogs on the beach?

FYI, Georgetown County allows dogs on the beach. The Horry/Georgetown County Line crosses the beach just a couple blocks south of the Garden City Beach Pier.

Last summer, there were a couple people with dogs on the beach every day. (The dogs seemed happy and seemed to love the ocean, it was far from animal cruelty.)

Have you already booked a place? If not, check for houses in Garden City, making sure it is in Georgetown County. http://goo.gl/maps/l5Ra7

I have used both of these reality companies: http://www.surfsiderealty.com/ http://www.dunes.com/

edit: Info: www.georgetowncountysc.org/animalcontrol/ and www.funbeaches.com/Laws-Grand-Strand.html

"Georgetown County laws Dogs are allowed on public beaches if accompanied by the owner or keeper and under the physical control by means of a leash or similar restraining device, or under the control of a responsible person to whom the dog is obedient on command."

Edited: 04 July 2013, 08:12
Mentioned in this post
Garden City Beach
Garden City Beach
NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: dogs on the beach?

Surfside doesn't allow dogs on the beach at all from May 15 -Sept 15.

I saw someone walking their dog though everyday. It was after 5 but still against the law.

Guess its enforced like the alcohol, smoking, surfing and fireworks laws I guess.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dogs on the beach?

We don't own a dog but certainly enjoyed meeting the parade of them we saw daily during our month long stay at Surfside Beach last October. Saw every make and model, all of them well behaved with responsible owners. Guess we were just lucky!

Mentioned in this post
Surfside Beach
Surfside Beach
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dogs on the beach?

Maybe. But I think resposible pet owners who visit from northern climes may not understand how hot sand feels on paws and that sand spurs will get between toes.

If the sand is too hot for you to go barefoot, it's too hot for your pet.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dogs on the beach?

At the risk of ruffling feathers, peak season vacationing pooch owners wanting their canine pals to accompany them everywhere, such as swimming in the ocean with them, should respectfully consider coastal destinations that aren't as densely populated as Myrtle Beach.

But be aware that even on rustic beaches where they are legal, the heat, hot sand and beach spurs can cause misery for your four-legged friends. Why not plan your dog-friendly beach vacation in the cooler, less populated months? Just a thought.......

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach