We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Seeing news reports about flooding near Galivant's Ferry, but no details as to exactly where. Has anyone traveled through there on US 501 today, and if so, did you have any problems? In the past I've seen the river very high through there, and with all this rain I'm wondering if the road may be threatened. We're coming down tomorrow and I'm trying to decide if we need to consider an alternate route.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

I drove from Conway to Florence and back today. Left at 9am, it was raining hard in Aynor and 501 in Gallivants to Marion County had a lot of water in the road, quite nasty. Came back around 2:30pm, no longer raining, road was fine.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 01:04
Mentioned in this post
Conway
Conway
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Hey thanks, Rick A. I'll try to find a traffic update on it for tomorrow. Sounds like the potential for flooding is there if the rain keeps up.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

SC DOT's website is not showing any wx closures on 501. http://www.511sc.org/

Although the Pee Dee River floods in that area, I don't ever recall seeing 501 closed due to river flooding. I guess there's always the first time, but standing water from the heavy rains are probably a bigger concern. The good news is that Thursday is supposed to bring rapid improvement and hot weather, so just one more day of heavy rain.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Thanks for the link PD--I'll check it tomorrow on the way down just in case. I think the bridge is high enough that it won't be a problem--I'm more concerned about the stretch just east of Galivant's Ferry where there's swamp on each side.

Hope you're doing well!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

You're exactly right, the bridge is no problem, but the low-lying swamps are saturated. 501 won't be closed, but be very careful if it's pouring. Safe travels!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Hope the trip down was a good one with no problems. The roads are crazy busy down here, as bad as I've seen 'em in several years. The rain missed up today so maybe good wx ahead for your visit. Have fun!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

Came through Galivant's Ferry today around 3:00 pm and had no problems, although the water in the swamp and in the river was very high. Crazy rain storms on the way down from Winston-Salem--talking about 20 mph kind of hard rain in some places, but once we got to Conway the skies cleared and it was a beautiful afternoon. Of course, just as I'm typing this I see it's started to rain here in Garden City. Appears to be just a light passing shower though--the weather is supposed to be nice the rest of the holiday weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Conway
Conway
Coastal South Carolina, SC
8. Re: Flooding at Galivant's Ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach