We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

I am little concerned about all the bad reviews Long Bay Resort is getting lately. We have a week booked there in August . We have stayed at Long Bay twice before, both times in March, and thought the accommodations in our 3 bdrm condo were adequate. A little worn perhaps, but acceptable - as were the pool and other areas. However, after reading all the recent reviews I fear our summer stay at Long Bay may be vastly disappointing compared to previous visits. Anyone know what is going on? Looks like there has been a change in management? Are things really that bad? I understand that everyone has their own standards and expectations, and I am trying to take these reviews "with a grain of salt" ....but I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

I wouldn't know, but would be very surprised if it changed ownership. The rooms are not all up to high standards, but I've never seen the grounds "left go." Anything but, actually.

Hopefully you will get some more informative comments from recent guests, but in the meantime, yes, you are correct that the reviews have to be read very carefully. You'll find unflattering ones for alnost every property. Maybe justified, maybe axe-grinding or unreasonable expectations. You don't need a valid reason to trash a place here.

I distinctly remember some bad reviews posted for Long Bay during a period I had been there myself, but chuckled about whether we had stayed at the same place (they never had towels, I always had towels, they repeatedly waited endlessly for the elevator, I only briefly waited once, etc., etc.).

I still remember frequent ex-poster Gary....if he was still here, he would probably be telling you: "stop second-guessing yourself, go and have a great vacation."

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
559 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

Daddio is correct: There will always be that group of people you just can't please no matter what...

If you were comfortable there before you should be fine this time as well. Have a safe and pleasant stay!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

I think you will normally find more negative reviews during paek season when resorts are at full capicity. Staff and customers are more stressed. If you booked through the resort you should haver less chances of having a problem. I have noticed many times people use a 3rd party site and then complain about room location etc.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

Stick with your "grain of salt" attitude. More than likely everything will be fine.

I've watched a number of review sites and it amazes me what some people find to fuss about. Beds too soft or hard. Towels not soft enough. TV remote didn't work right. One I'll never forget was somebody complained about housekeeping. Spider web on balcony railing one morning and took an hour for somebody to show up to remove it. Wonder when they found enough time to enjoy their vacation.

Something to keep in mind. Later in season the more worn a place might look. We stayed at Wyndham Ocean Blvd the first season it was open. Month into the season exterior stucco work chipped and interior walls were already scarred from luggage carts. Carpet already stained and some doors loose. Brand new building. Rentals take a beating in short time..

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

We have stayed there twice in the past year or so. (Sept 2012 and April 2013) So both our stays were during non-peak season. But I always keep up with reviews and it seems like summertime reviews/peak season are pretty bad! Then during off season it gets a lot better. The complaints I've read about recently, we did not encounter at all. Our housekeeping was their daily, plenty of towels, staff were walking around the pool area; one even told my 5yo son that he needed to get back in the tube while in the lazy river. I wonder if they just get short staffed during busy season. I will say our room, both stays, was outdated. But we love the savoy and the seperate parking that comes with it. We are considering a June 2014 trip and I'm a bit scared to book here again, but I think I'll give it a try. We'll see how it goes.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

It's been 3 years since I've been there, but for what its worth, it was during peak season (late July). My thought is that in any mid-priced high-rise hotel, you're going to experience "traffic," for lack of a better term, and the consequences that come with it. My experience was a good one. The corridors were starting to show signs of wear and tear, but the room itself was impeccably clean and well-kept and didn't have that cheap chintzy feel of some less expensive beachfront properties I've experienced. If you're hoping that nary a speck of sand be found by your doorway, then you may be a bit disappointed. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Bethpage, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

I felt the same and it was eating at me. I backed out of Long Bay a few days ago and switched to the Avista which was recommended by a friend. It's North Myrtle but we won't know the difference having never been to SC before.

8. Re: A little nervous about bad reviews for Long Bay Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations