We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

Cleveland
Level Contributor
294 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

Ok I normally don't fear sea life as I know its a risk when swimming in the ocean but this is a little close for comfort! wbtw.com/story/23239277/14-foot-tiger-shark-…

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

3 miles off shore is pretty far. I think you would see sharks at that distance. Still a little weird how they caught the thing.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

You could have sharks like that within 100ft of you at MB and would never know the difference especially on days with decent waves rolling in and churning up the sand.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

^^ What coastermeister said. ^^ This shark is a baby compared to the 1800 lb tiger shark landed off Cherry Grove pier back in the 60's. myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/…

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

Wow! A shark in the ocean! Imagine that!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
874 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

I think it is shameful the way they caught that shark and killed it. Three miles off shore is hardly a place where the shark would be threatening swimmers. He was out there in his home and was killed for what? Sport? Fun? Some macho rush that the guys got because they killed a shark??

Not cool. If you love the ocean, you have to respect it and its inhabitants. Can't believe more people haven't been bothered by this....

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

I'm with mooth on this.

I find a snake in my house, it's gonna die.

On my porch, it can run or it's gonna die.

Out in the field- it's his home, I'm doing a 180 and walking back where I came from.

A shark 3 miles out in the ocean is in his own habitat- no swimmers near by in any case.

There are some basic common sense things to do to help avoid shark incidents

How to avoid shark attacks (from Hawaii- so they should know)

…about.com/cs/beaches/ht/shark_attack.htm

NOAA facts about Tiger Sharks:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sharks/FS_Tiger.htm

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
874 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

The way they killed it was also kind of sad. I believe they tied a rope around its tail and dragged it until it drowned.

Why did they have to do this....????

Toronto
Level Contributor
352 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

When we were there last week my wife was looking for shells around 7 a.m. near the Grand Atlantic in south MB when a 2.5-foot Blacktip shark washed up on shore.

She took pix of it and shot video of it moving around and summoned a nice man to pick it up and throw it back into the ocean where a larger shark appeared to be moving around.

Kevin

Toronto

9. Re: 14 ft shark off of N Myrtle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18