We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Douglassville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from MB! Any questions?

My family and I rented a condo at the Caribbean Resort from Aug 17-24th. We had a wonderful vacation. If anyone has questions about the resort, I'd be happy to answer what I can. I also toured Dunes Village while there and Iiked it slightly more than the Caribbean resort.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Hi Patti. Glad you had a good time! No questions, but would love to read a trip report. You know, what you did, where you ate, the weather, crowds, traffic, etc...the whole kit and kaboodle! ;)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

We're headed there (well, actually NMB) at the end of September and would appreciate a trip report as well if you have the time. =)

Douglassville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Thanks, beachlady! :) Here you go:

My family & I stayed at the Caribbean Resort from 8/17/13 to 8/24/13. We rented a 3 Bedroom Condo through an owner on VRBO.com, #701. It was on the corner of the building and had nice views of the inland from the MBR as well as, a private balcony. The other two bedrooms had windows with views of the inland. There was also a separate balcony off of the living room which faced the Northern Shore line and overlooked the pool with the waterslide and the Sea Captain's house. My husband and I got up early each morning and had our coffee on the balcony and watched the sun rise. That definitely was a highlight during our trip. The weather was absolutely beautiful all week, with only one, small thunder storm one day that passed by in just a few hours.

Our party consisted of myself, my husband, our 4 year old son, my step-daughter, her friend and her boyfriend, all of which are 22 years old. Since we had a large party, we decided to cook in most of the time and only eat out a few times this trip. Our meals were all pretty good. We had a fabulous breakfast buffet at the Sea Captain's house our last full day there. Very yummy and fun for our 4 year old who was the little "waiter" of the group. We also dined at Captain George's Seafood Buffet (largest buffet I've ever seen!) and Carlos and Charlie's. That was a fun atmosphere, but the food was only so-so. Prior to this trip, I did hours upon hours of research and asked questions on this forum (thank you everyone who answered questions for me!) and I had TONS of activities planned for my family, however, I under-estimated my 4 year old and my husband as they only wanted to hang out at the pool/beach or the room most of the week, so we did not get to do alot of the things on my list (Pirates Voyage, Wacatee Zoo, Riley's Aquarium to name a few...) We did get to Broadway at the Beach and walked around, and we drove up to North Myrtle Beach to check it out. My husband hated all the traffic up that way and wanted to get back "home" to the Caribbean ASAP. He was most impressed by our resort and the location. We visited the Boardwalk area by the Skywheel and took in an impressive concert in the park by a group of young kids who were awesome!! Wish I knew the name of their band! The highlight of the trip had to be the ocean! We loved the water so much, fun waves to play in, but not too rough and we were astonished by how wide the beach is during low-tide. My husband spent hours boogie boarding each day!! Our last day there, we did hear that there were alot of jelly fish stings though, much worse than earlier in the week. I only saw one jelly fish and my husband saw two and thankfully no one in our group was stung. The amenities at the Caribbean Resort were very nice. The pools were plentiful, loved the hot tubs and the lazy river. We tried the voodoo juice from Skip jacks and had a hot dog, but I wished that they served a little more food by the pool and wished that they had an onsite restaurant. They also have a fitness room, but it is very, very tiny and you need a key card to get into it. We didn’t receive room keys because our door has a code lock and I didn’t feel like going to the front desk to ask for one so I opted for runs on the beach instead. Check in at 3pm was a zoo, but thankfully, since we rented from an owner, we only had to unload the car and get ourselves onto an elevator. We were patient so it wasn't too bad.

Since I'm a travel agent, I wanted to explore the area and learn more about the hotels in MB. On our mini-excursion to NMB, we stopped at Dunes Village. Let me tell you, this was definitely a highlight!!! First of all, my 4 year old saw the indoor water parks and wanted to stay there all day! He was sad when I told him were just visiting, so we went to the outdoor pool area and found their playground which had a very, very nice pirate ship/ark type thing made of wood. He played on it for about an hour! They also had a sand volleyball court, a pool side bar and lovely pools. I was impressed at how clean the pools were. (Seemed cleaner than the pools at the Caribbean Resort).

The front desk gave me an information packet and said we were free to look around as we wanted. We ended up by the Starbucks cafe and Captain's Cafe restaurant where we met Cisco! What a cool guy! He is the host at the Captain's Cafe. He immediately welcomed us, offered my son chocolate milk, water, anything he wanted!! We went into the cafe to take a break and we were treated like part of the family! Cisco was a sheer delight to talk with and then we met Dan, the Restaurant/Bar manager. He was also great to talk with and once he found out that we were just visiting, he provided me with lots of info about the property. I left there feeling slightly disappointed that we didn't stay there, but we do plan to take another trip to MB and will definitely stay there sometime. While I was visiting Dunes Village, I requested to see a room. I wanted to see a 3 bedroom unit, but none were available. They instead showed us a 1 BR w/ extended balcony. The room itself was lovely. Nice, clean, granite countertops, jacuzzi type soaker tub, nice furnishings and widely impressive balcony. This was on the 7th floor and extended out so you could have lounge seats out there, however, my husband wasn't impressed because there was no privacy at all on either side. He would not to rent this type of room.

The crowds never really bothered us and we didn't have a long wait anywhere we went. Like I stated previously, the traffic in NMB was hectic and we felt happy to get back to Central MB. All in all, this was a great trip, and we are already planning a return trip. I know this was a very long post, but I'm trying to remember all the details that may help the next person plan their vacation! I'd be happy to answer any other questions, just message me!!

Edited: 26 August 2013, 20:21
Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Thank you!! You sound like me when planning a trip. I tend to over-plan. Especially with young ones, you don't want them to be bored. Seems most kids are quite happy playing on the beach, in the sand or water or in the pool. Glad you had a good time.

Most people seem to say that NMB is much quieter than MB. I don't see much difference myself. You did actually go to the City of North Myrtle Beach, a good 15 miles away...and not just the northern end of Myrtle Beach, right? A lot of people do get them confused. Funny, I find Central MB to be crazy crowded more so than any other areas there.

Again thanks for the TR. I wish more MB vacationers did them ;)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Great trip report, thanks! We were at MB last week as well, 8/16 to 8/23 and stayed at Marriott Oceanwatch Villas - so not far at all from you. In fact I passed your resort when I went on one of my morning runs. :-)

We typically to go MB in July but got a great deal for last week, so this year we decided to go right before school starts (which was today). I thought the crowds were totally manageable this time - little to no wait at restaurants, we just loved it, and will go back again in late August.

There were 6 in our party (our family of 4 plus my two in-laws), and like you most of the time was at the beach and pools. We did go out to dinner a few nights to Greg Norman's, Margaritaville, Duffy Street Seafood Shack, and Oscar's. Also went to a Pelicans baseball game (I highly recommend!!!) and got all of our back-to-school shopping done at Tanger Outlets. :-)

Oh, how I wish I were back at the beach! Can't wait until next year.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Oh whoops, I just realized you were at Caribbean, not Dunes Village. I think it's Dunes Village that was closer to us, we were on 82nd and Ocean Blvd. Either way - glad you enjoyed your trip!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

LOL....axid, I was going to say..."wow you sure ran a long way if you passed by the Caribbean!" (do-able....but a long way)

We love Duffys! Always good. We went to Greg Normans once...terrible service, food was ok. Beautiful place though. We might go back to MB in Sept. Now that we are empty nesters :( we can go off season.

Douglassville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Thanks, Beachlady! You are right! I am certainly the "planner" and my family just wants to go with with flow. Funny thing though, whenever my husband asked where are we eating dinner, I couldn't decide! TOO many choices! LOL

I think I may have gotten confused when talking about NMB (don't want to scare anyone away). The part my husband didn't like was driving on Highway 17 past Barefoot Landing and such heading North. We did drive over to North Beach Plantation just see it. Wow, it is an incredible building! We also stopped at Avista Resort for some more "research". I went in and took photos and walked out to the walkway to see their part of the beach. Avista was nice, however, the outdoors pools to me were much smaller and cramped than I had envisioned them from looking at photos.

Douglassville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Thanks, Axid!! Glad you and your family had a great time, too! I was looking at pictures of the Marriott yesterday, it looks really nice!!

I agree with you that this time of year was the perfect time to go (for us) too! My husband would like to come back the same week next year!!

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from MB! Any questions?

Thanks for the additional detail on your trip. We stay at the Caribbean most times, so nice to see the detailed comparison with the Dunes (which is always on the frequently-recommended list).