We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

We will be arriving in MB about mid-day on Monday, Labor Day, for our son's wedding. We have been to MB many, many times, but we have never been there this time of the year, due to the fact that until fairly recently, our kids (who are now out of school) were always starting classes right about now.

Is Labor Day traditionally really busy in MB, or is it not so much, since a lot of kids are back in school by then? Will there be a mass exodus of people on Monday during the day, or do people who come for the LD weekend leave later in the evening? I'm not really worried about long lines of traffic on the incoming end, such as what we will be doing, but will the outgoing traffic be horrendous (which can still affect incoming traffic in very congested areas like 501), or is LD just not that big of a deal in MB? We have come in on Easter weekend before and it was extremely congested, but that is also when half of the school kids on the East Coast have spring break, and I know that it is a traditionally busy time in MB.

Thanks! : )

Edited: 31 August 2013, 10:10
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Labor Day is a big deal in MB. The place is packed and traffic is very heavy. IMO, it is usually much busier on Labor Day than Easter, depending upon when Easter falls. As you mentioned, most of the traffic will be headed out on Monday, so that's a good thing. Still, the fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc will be brimming over so be careful. Some folks always stay over until later in the week, but Monday will be the busiest on the roads by far. www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx…

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Like PawleysDude said...LD is a very big deal. But you really should be ok, driving-wise, as everyone (well, most) will be leaving MB. There are a couple of other ways around 501 anyway. Where exactly are you staying? You can take Rt. 9 or Hwy 31 or a couple of other ways into the beach and avoid 501 (or most of it anyway). I would imagine by mid-day traffic won't be quite as bad, but there will still be the locals, or people living just a couple of hours away that will still be there or heading out later in the day.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Thanks for your helpful replies!

We will be coming in from Winston-Salem, NC, and we are staying at our condo at the Horizon at 77th, which is at Ocean Blvd. and 77th Ave. N. I was going to ask about an alternate route, so as to avoid the 501 madness. A couple of years ago when we drove in from the Raleigh airport, we came in from the north and down through North MB, which seems to me like it would have to be better than 501, but I don't remember the exact route that we took. I will do some checking right now, but any other advice on alternate routes will be much appreciated and probably put into use!

Edited: 31 August 2013, 15:30
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Okay, so I just looked at some maps, and I see that the route from Raleigh won't necessarily work from Winston-Salem. However, I did see a Conway Bypass (Hwy. 22) that appears to circumvent the bulk of the 501 congestion. Any suggestions on if this is a good option?

Also, since you mentioned, PD, that some folks stay over past Labor Day, can you guys tell me if the rest of the week is traditionally busy in general? I had really hoped that most of the crowds would be gone after Monday since kids have to be back in school and a lot of adults have to be back to work, and that the rest of the week would be much less crowded and much more peaceful!

Edited: 31 August 2013, 15:38
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Out of W-S take I 40 towards Greensboro. New route opened up this summer. Couple exits out of town should be RT 311 to High Point. (future I 74) Cuts across to RT 22. (I 73)......Cuts out driving through Greensboro.

Down to Rockingham and across RT 74 to Chadbourne. .....RT 410 through Chadbourne to RT 701 in Tabor City. Couple miles to RT 9.

RT 9 towards North Myrtle Beach. Just before Little River you'll see RT 31 south to Myrtle Beach. Runs parallel to RT 17 cutting out all the traffic and lights. Exit at RT 22. Short hop to RT 17 and you're only a couple miles from 77th.....

The 20 some miles on 410-701 would be the only two lane of the drive.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Wow, thanks! I will print this and check it out on a map.

7. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations