We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Booked at trip to MB for me and my Mom, May 18-25 at Best Western Carolinian. I realized this was the end of Bike week when I booked it but didn't realize there was another one Memorial Day weekend (Atlantic Beach). My 2 main concerns are safety and traffic. I cannot change the flight/car without large fee but can cancel the hotel if need be. Was wondering if it would be best to see the boardwalk and everything around the resort by May 23 and use the rental car May 23-25 to sight see elsewhere to get away from crowds or should we do it the other way around and stay put at the hotel during the bike weekend and not even try to drive? Would prefer to stay at the Carolinian and not change resorts but will if someone strongly suggested otherwise. I know there is a walk from the parking garage to the hotel. Has anyone stayed here during the bike events and had any problems? I know we will see things, I have been to, and enjoyed, bike weeks before and know what to expect in that regard. I am most concerned about the criminal element. If it was just me traveling, I wouldn't be so concerned. Is the area around this hotel safe and is the beach safe to walk during the Memorial Day weekend bike fest? I would also like to know if there is a fast way to the airport on Sunday, 5/25, will all the traffic? We need to be there by 11:00am. Thank you.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Cancelled the reservation.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

We usually travel down that week and stay in North Myrtle Beach. Years past the Memorial week bikers didn't start rolling in until Friday. Recent trips they've been showing up mid week.

Can still have a good trip staying away from the main strip of MB where you were booked before. Garden City and Surfside would be ok but accommodations similar to what you had might be hard to find.

North Myrtle has several possibilities depending on your budget, wants and needs. Beach Cove, Baywatch, Avista, Ashworth, MarVista.......

As you already mentioned. Hit downtown Myrtle Beach early in the week. Later in the week visit the other areas.

Little traffic on Sunday mornings. If you do decide to try North Myrtle Beach there is a by-pass RT 31 that runs parallel to RT 17. No stoplights until you hit RT 501 and you're not too far from airport from there. Can be to south end of MB in no time.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Thank you pop2748 for the great information. Looking at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, Pawley's Island for the week. Will we be okay there? Looks like it's out of the way and far from the activities of the weekend. Not a bad drive in to Myrtle Beach the first few days of vacation for shopping, shows, boardwalk, etc... Will just stay between the resort and Georgetown Fri-Sat. Thanks again.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

We've stayed at Litchfield beach and golf resort before near by and enjoyed that location . It was just far enough away from all the hustle and bustle but not a bad drive if we did want to go up for activities. The area is more families and esp. retirees so I think your mom would like it. It is also very close to Murrell's Inlet which has great restaurants and a nice scenic boardwalk on the marsh to walk.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Thank you suzen06, that is exactly what I needed to hear. The area sounds perfect! We love art galleries, flea markets, antiques, shopping, shelling, photography, and last but not least, eating at great places. Looks like we will have a great time after all. I booked the Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, (a renovated oceanfront room in the tower on a high floor, thanks to the advice I received from this site) and my mind is now at ease. Only cost $80 more than the Carolinian!! Thank you!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Good choice. You will also be convenient to Brookgreen Gardens and Huntingdon Beach SP. When I had my elderly mom down for a visit, she loved spending the day at Brookgreen, followed by a visit to Murrells Inlet's marshwalk for supper. Go early in the week so you can return if you like (tickets are good for 7 days).

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Thank you daddio361 for the very useful info. Much appreciated. I am glad to hear your Mom enjoyed the area. I know it will be extra busy because of the holiday weekend, but I think this area will be more our speed. Wish I could be there today...looking forward to it.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

There is also Forest Dunes hotel which does not allow motorcycles all year long.This is a 100% non- smoking hotel located about 3 miles North of the boardwalk area.Behind the hotel is a quiet single family home residential area.Although not much in walking distance it is a short car ride to all major attractions.Great views from the 6th floor on up as there are only 3 story tall condos on either side.The area is sometimes referred to as the Cabana area.Also a low traffic area.

To get to airport go to 48th st. to Grissom Parkway which will take you right to the airport.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 13:47
Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Thank you tonymik. I actually looked at Forest Dunes because of the no motorcycles policy, but since we want to spend some time in Charleston, decided on the south side of MB.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice for elderly Mother & Daughter trip

Might add. Fee for Brookgreen is good for the week. No need to wear yourself out spending the entire day there. Short piece down the road is small shopping complex on the northbound side of RT 17. Called Hammock Shops. Several small shops scattered out back in the trees.