We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

I will be vising Myrtle Beach and am looking for some good authentic (not restaurant chain) smokehouse b-b-que. Would appreciate any recommendations.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

One of our favorites. Little Pigs BBQ. Nothing fancy, just good BBQ

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54359-d10…

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

Good luck! I've tried several places there over the years and the best I found was Little Pigs. Little Pigs was good but it was not a knock-out and I've never been back. I've heard good things about Prosser's in Murrell's Inlet but never made it there. From what I've read Prosser's is more of a southern buffet that is supposed to have good BBQ. The idea of BBQ on a buffet kind of turns me off though but I might give it a try this summer.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

Yeah, unfortunately, Myrtle Beach is pretty much a BBQ wasteland. We moved here about 15 years ago from NC, where BBQ is king. After searching for about a year, we gave up and bought a smoker. For really good BBQ, we drive inland about an hour or so, to around Hemingway and Kingstree. Rodney Scott of Hemingway has been nationally recognized for his BBQ. Unfortunately his pit house burned down just before Thanksgiving and I don't believe he has re-opened.

If you'd like to try some local BBQ, I recommend Prosser's in Murrells Inlet. We eat there frequently. It is a buffet, which is the traditional lowcountry way of serving BBQ. That can be an advantage if not everyone in the group is a fan of BBQ. They also have excellent fried chicken, along with a couple fried fish/seafood choices, as well as a couple other various meat entrees. Their veggies are also several notches above the usual buffet. My wife loves their collards and sweet potatoes. They are open every day until 2pm for lunch and some evenings. If you're going for dinner, I recommend calling ahead to check their schedule.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 00:25
Ottawa, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

We are travelling from Ontario Canada, along highway 81 to highway 90. Any good barbeque recommendations close to the highway. I appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Ottawa, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

I just looked at Scott's BBQ in Hemingway and it looks really good. I would be willing to drive for good Q. Does anyone know if it re-opened after the fire. According to a news article he hoped to be reopened in a few weeks. I won't be there until March. Appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

I've heard of people stopping in Laurinburg, NC for BBQ.

Ottawa, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

Thanks...does anyone know if Scott's bbq in Hemingway has re-opened after the first.

Ottawa, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

Sorry that should be after the fire

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

IF you are coming through the Columbia area, check out Doc's BBQ. They ha ve som awsome BBQ.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best B-B-QUE in or near Myrtle Beach

I have not checked on Scott's since early December. Here's their website. If you're interested you might give them a call before you go out of your way. They are closed Sundays thru Tuesdays.

http://thescottsbbq.com/