We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

Clio, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

I booked a hotel last night that is 3 blocks south of Family Kingdom Amusement Park. I am now seeing that the are outside the hotel is a bit shady. Does anyone know if this is a high crime area? Would you allow two teenage boys to walk on their own? Would it be better to get a hotel further north? If so, what would be some good suggestions that would be near activities? Thank you!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

I am not fond of that area. With that being said you must be careful and aware antwhere you travel. I much prefer the area north of 21st st. Resorts incl Camelot, Breakers, Dayton House, Best Western Carolinian and my Favorite The Caribbean.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
358 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

I think that area is "questionable" - even in broad daylight we saw drunk people w/ huge boom boxes on the beach partying.... not our cup of tea for a family.

We like the area north from there - Caribbean, The Caravelle, St. Clements, Long Bay area - felt very safe there and still not far from boardwalk area and you can still get to N. MB in 10 -15 mins...

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

Nothing unsafe about the area in my opinion. We've stayed at The Sandy Beach Resort many times, always enjoyed it and never had any problems. We let the teens in our family roam anywhere they like along Ocean Blvd with no concerns. We do remind them about being safe as you would anywhere.

Trenton, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

What time of year are you going? That may make a difference. We've been staying at the Sandy Beach Resort for three years, and I've never felt unsafe in the area. We always visit in May, though, before the large crowds arrive. I'm a 30-year-old woman, and I've walked to the Dunkin' Donuts on Kings Highway by myself in the morning. Like anywhere you travel, you must be aware of your surroundings at all times.

The area I question is up by Chapin Park and the Piggly Wiggly, between 14th Ave N and 18th Ave N. We were stopped by some questionable characters at the Piggly Wiggly once, and last year someone was stabbed in Chapin Park shortly after we returned home. Granted, these areas face Kings Highway, not Ocean Boulevard, but it still scares me that it's happening that close to Ocean Blvd and the Boardwalk.

We have stayed at The Caribbean as well and that area is very nice. We walked from The Caribbean to Broadway at the Beach several times, and never felt unsafe.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

You have reason to be wary of that area. It is nothing like the tidy tree-lined residential streets in the north end. For lack of a better term, think: "low rent district."

In the off season, this is where the winter construction workers, service staff and transients find cheap long term accommodations. But in peak season, they are pushed westward by higher weekly rates that attract budget vacationers. So yes, you might have concerns walking through some of these neighborhoods in the off-seasons, but less so in the crowded summer months.

Most crime in MB are "crimes of opportunity." Just because you're on vacation is no reason to let your guard down. Be safe wherever you stay by simply using common sense: don't leave valuables in open sight or unattended on the beach or poolside, don't carry cash, keep anything left in car locked in trunk, don't walk alone in uncrowded areas, etc.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

We have stayed in that exact area many times over the years, with and without kids, uasually in the spring and fall. We do lots of walking, both on the beach and in the neighborhood, including the residential streets between Ocean Blvd and Hwy 17, and have never felt unsafe in any way. I suppose if you're looking for trouble, you can find it anywhere, but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending that area.

Trenton, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

Another suggestion - have you ever used Google Maps Street View? I do this a lot when I'm traveling to an area I'm not familiar with. Go to Google Maps and look up the property you are staying at, and switch to street view. You can arrow up and down the streets around your hotel, and kind of get a feel for what you're getting into.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

I think some people equate safe with new modern high rises. The area from Family Kingdom to several blocks to the south of the Family Kingdom has a lot of nice, well kept properties and many new or nearly new properties but most are not high rises. There are several new shops and new restaurants in that stretch of Ocean Blvd. The area has really be rejuvenated over the last few years. Sorry but I just don't agree with the naysayers.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

3 blocks south of Family Kingdom. So I am guessing around 9th Ave S.? https://maps.google.com/maps…

Which place are you staying? I am seeing the following: (trees included ;o)

Sea Crest: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54359-d247994-… Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/AxsyA

Days Inn: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54359-d97368-R… Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/eo0Yk

Captain's Quarters Resort: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54359-d97320-R… Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/qpgQA

I don't like to stay in this area because it is always very busy in the summer, It's what my friends and I call the HubbBubb. But I do enjoy visiting Family Kingdom, and I never felt unsafe at Family Kingdom.

Regardless how you feel or where you stay, always be aware of your surroundings and if you see something or someone that makes you feel unsafe, walk somewhere else...

10. Re: Safety Concerns just South of Family Kingdom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27