We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

According to an article posted in myrtle-beach dot com, Mayor Rhodes is floating the idea of shutting down Ocean Boulevard to vehicle traffic from Easter through Labor Day. From the article:

"The Mayor’s vision is to create a walking area much like the downtown area in New Orleans on Bourbon Street.

Rhodes believes the move will increase pedestrian traffic which will lead to more consumer spending in stores along the area where the Myrtle Beach Pavilion once was."

Is it just me or does this sound like a really dumb idea?

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

Horrible idea!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

If it came from a politician could it be a good idea? Cruising the strip is the only tradition we have left now that the Pavilion is gone. Turn the old amusement park site into a huge free parking lot if you want to help the businesses in that area. Some nice landscaping and attractive lighting could make it look nice. Maybe some small, open air, seasonal shops around the perimeter too.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

Really Dumb Idea, has he been to Bourbon Street before? Having bar after bar and many forms of entertainment is a good reason to shut down an area like Bourbon Street. I am not overly impressed with the shopping, eating, and entertainment options around the old Pavilion area that would want me to go down there more than one night.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

My initial thought is bad idea.The traffic around that area in peak season is bad to begin with.Closing the Boulevard will just clog up the side streets.Won't affect me as I avoid that area from June to Sept.

5. Re: Close Ocean Boulevard? Really??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach