We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

Just curious to see what the differences are, bad or good?

Location to restaurants, mini golf within walking distance?

Is this part of Myrtle Beach a safe end? I've been reading conflicting reviews that one part is safer than another which doesn't make sense to me!!

Do you have to rent chairs on the beach at each of these hotels?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

I prefer the resorts north of 21st ave but there are many people who stay in this area. There is not as much to walk to but many things are a short drive. If you don't have your own chairs, the lifeguards will rent them to you.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

Compass Cove gets better reviews. You will find a few little stores, shops a diner, maybe a grocery store, maybe a mini-golf in that area within a few blocks. Not my preferred area either. I'd rather stay more to the north too, just because we tend to do things and go places that are up in that area or in North Myrtle Beach. Not to say we never venture south; we do go to Murrells Inlet or Market Commons.

Lifeguards do put out chairs and umbrellas every morning. $25 a day....I think.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

So in saying you prefer the North End, which would hotel would your recommend for small children in that area with some things to walk to?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

I would recommend Camelot, The Breakers and my favorite The Caribbean

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

So do you think there is more within walking distance to do with the kids in the North End by the Caribbean?

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

There is a lot more to walk to from The Breakers and Camelot and The Caribbean is 8 blocks further north. The Caribbean is nicer than both CC and CB. It is 1 mile to the start of the Boardwalk and Skywheel and a little further to Ripleys, Slingshot, mazes and funhouses.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

Normally I would not want to stay in that part of MB because of the crowds. (which is actually central...not north MB). But...you said previously you were coming the last week of August. So the crowds won't be quite as bad. I would stay at Breakers or Camelot. Closer walk to Boardwalk and all the attractions your kids will like in that area. You will have your car, so you can drive to other attractions as well like Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing, and all the mini golf you could possibly want.

Have fun!

Edited: 08 May 2014, 16:44
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
358 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

I toured a unit at Coral Beach and it was really run down - these are individually owned units and this was one was in bad shape - a tube TV, older AC unit on balcony, run down kitchen and bath... I have heard good things about Compass Cove but have no personal experience with it. I would look over all the pictures on the reviews...

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

I've stayed at Compass Cove maybe half a dozen times. They have arguably the widest array of water amenities you'll find anywhere, and the grounds are very well maintained. It was formerly separate owned properties, so it now sprawls across two blocks with three hotel buildings and two separate indoor and outdoor pool areas. We have never had a problem with the rooms, but the buildings are not new anymore.

Coral Beach has a nice outdoor pool area, but the inside water amenities seem "chopped up" to me (not in one large area). Also has a bowling alley. This is an older building as well but reasonably well maintained.

Given a choice between these two, I would pick CC.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
583 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coral Beach or Compass Cove?

Compass Cove is a nice property in a maybe not so nice location as very little is within walking distance. The rooms are nice, the facilities are fairly well kept and is a good overall value. If a little more driving doesn't bother you there's nothing wrong with it.