We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

What is a typical weekend availability after 2pm? I've been viewing pictures and it doesn't appear to have a lot, only the one row. I wanted to be prepared to purchase our own umbrella if needed to bring with as shade is a must and we stay out of the sun from 10-2. Thanks.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

You pay for the whole day, so get there early to reserve one. ($25 - $30 I think) Yes, the lifeguards put out just one long line of them. If you do buy one in a store, just know it has to go behind that line of umbrellas that the lifeguards put out.

Georgia
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Also the life guards start taking up the umbrellas at 4. I have also had lifeguards rent me one for 20 when it was late in the day but you are taking the chance of them being already rented for the day if you wait.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 20:03
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Thanks for the replies. I went to SAMs Club and purchased an umbrella today. We plan on being on the beach from 2-7 so it seems to be our best option.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Hope is it no larger than 7 feet, 6 inches!

myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/…

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

It's 7 ft.

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

One of our family was going to bring a tent, but, after the banning of them, it will have to stay at home. My wife & I will be flying down a day before and I was going to buy a couple to have for those who have fair skin. We do not belong to Sam's Club, and, where should I go to buy a couple that are 7 ft & what would I expect to pay for them? Thanks again for the replies I hope will come my way.. We will be staying at North Myrtle Beach...............dan

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Go to any of the million beachwear stores such as Eagle, Pacific, Whale, etc you should pay about $49 for a good one and make sure to buy an anchor for $5.99

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Also, since you mentioned you are fair skinned, make sure the umbrella you buy has a higher SPF rating. We had a bought a cheap one many years ago from Eagles or Wings that offered shade, but after a few hours, we burned. We ended up getting a nicer one that has an SPF rating of 50 which works much better. I would echo what Lenk said, and expect to spend at least $40 or more for a decent one that has a good protection factor.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 20:23
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm certain we will get at least one, possibly two, with a high sbf rating; it's much better than having a painful sunburn. I'm sure all of us have seen some individuals with sunburns that looked quite painful & wished they had heeded this advice..................dan

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
952 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon umbrella rental in front of Breakers Hotel

I always like to tell everyone not to forget to put sunscreen on your feet. So many people don't think about it and end up with burnt feet!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach