We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving directions

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving directions

Hello all, headed down to Kingston tomorrow (arriving on Saturday after overnight in Spartenburg) and wanted to double check for the best directions to mitigate traffic congestion. After doing some searched of the forum I found some dated directions from hart1 that seem the best for me coming in from Knoxville.

Nashville to Knoxville-Asheville, Columbia, SC, Florence, SC FROM FLORENCE to North on I-95 for 10 miles to exit 170 (Hwy 327) good place to stop for gas/bathroom/food. Stay on 327 to 2nd stoplight, turn left at light (Wendy's Pizza Hut on corner) stay on this road for about 75 miles to Hwy 22. 22 begins at 501, stay on 22 till it ends at Hwy 17.

Are these still the best directions? What is the road name/number I will be turning left on at Wendy's/Pizza Hut?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving directions

Those directions are as good as any. The left in Florence is onto US 76--take that to Marion, SC, where you'll connect with US 501. Traffic on 501 will be terrible around and through Aynor, SC, especially in the afternoon, so you might want to have a backroads route mapped out just in case (e.g., SC 129 to SC 319 to SC 22). Hope you have a safe trip!

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving directions

Thanks for the response and the tip on 129 to 319 to 22. I was wondering how far north of MB we would encounter bad congestion. Looking at the map (I still do that) it seems like a good little detour.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving directions

Traffic in Aynor is always a mess on Saturday's during the summer. I would def take the backroads. My sister came down for the 4th one year from Louisville and I actually told her to stay on 26 to Charleston and just come up 17. I live on the south end so it didn't take her THAT far out of the way. The detour above sounds better though, especially with you staying at Kingston.

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving directions

Thanks Jessica. One time when we were staying at Surfside Beach we came in on 521 to Georgetown and up. Still lots of traffic but better than 501 I guess. I know it's going to be busy no matter which way we go...just trying to find that "road less traveled".

Kentucky
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving directions

If staying in Spartanburg, just time your arrival into MB around noon and you shouldn't have any problem. I would still take 22 in Anyor and not chance 501 near the beach. Hop on 31 and take Robert Grissom parkway and hangout at Broadway at the Beach until check in . I've never ran into traffic on that route if I arrive around noon.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
814 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving directions

If you can avoid 501, I highly recommend it. Even if you arrive early, it only takes one little fender bender to start the back-up no matter what the time of day.

Memphis, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving directions

Is there any way to avoid 501 all together to get back to Memphis, tn? I have looked for an alternative but can't find one.

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving directions

I didn't get out of Spartenburg as early as I wanted and traffic kept getting heavier the closer I got to the coast. I went ahead and took a left on 129 (which is barely marked and easy to miss) before I got to Aynor. It was a smaller road but better than the white knuckle driving that was starting on the big road.

129 kept getting smaller and smaller before finally turning into a non paved road before getting to 319. There were a couple of side roads that the gps wanted to put me on to connect with 319 when 129 turned to gravel...but I enjoyed my wife's face when we left the paved road...

We ended up arriving on 17 about 1 or so...went and wondered around Barefoot Landing for a bit. Ran into Wal-mart...(which was a zoo) about 3 and was in the parking lot at Kingston for the 4pm check in.

Thanks for the help!. I don't know what I don't know about the traffic on 501 but I think this way probably saved some time/stress.

9. Re: Driving directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17