We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/25 to 7/29

Naperville
Level Contributor
678 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/25 to 7/29

We arrived Friday afternoon and checked into Sandy Beach Resort without any problems.

Went to Food Lion to pick up stuff for our stay while the kids and wife unpacked and

got some beach time. We cooked in Fri, Sat and Sunday evening. I'll do a separate review

for Sandy Beach, but our room 1712 is minimally stocked in the kitchen. We've rented many

condos and homes and this unit was the worst if you intend to cook dinners. The unit is

very nice otherwise and the view from the balcony and southern window is great. The walls

between units are not well sound insulated. We had some smokers next door who smoked on

the balcony. This place is non-smoking including the balcony. I had the front desk call

them but they didn't stop, so I had to tell them directly, balcony to balcony, that they

can't smoke. They seemed surprised; what is wrong with you smokers! If you want to do

water activities like jet ski, para sailing, banana boat rides, Oceans Watersport is about 100 yards

south of here. So you can walk on the beach there. But you will see and hear them all day.

My realization of how restrictive MB came Saturday morning. The life guards setup the rental

chairs and umbrellas all the way across the condo. In fact they stretch it out from Family

Kingdom area to the 2nd ave pier. So there is no way to get an unobstructed view of the beach

when you setup your stuff because you have to be behind their rentals. On top of that they

setup the umbrellas so low that it is at eye level when you are sitting in your chair. I know this

is not new, but I did not know this until I started looking at this forum in the last 6 months.

This is nuts in my opinion. The rentals for 2 chairs and an umbrella is reasonable $35 per day.

One family didn't know this and was very upset! They ended up renting a spot but used their

equipment since the rental chairs are pretty disgusting. I wouldn't lounge on them either.

The fact that rentals prevents me from getting the spot I want is enough to NEVER consider MB

for my beach vacation again. I may consider other parts of the Grand Strand though.

Also you can not set up your umbrella until 8am. You can put all your stuff on the beach but

can not put your umbrella up until then. What? The rentals are available from 8 to 4:30ish.

Some other rules: no skim boards, no blow up mattresses, and you can only go out to chest level

even when it's a blue flag day!

I've also read different views about beer on the beach, so I asked 3 different officials. They

all told me I can have cans of beer in my cooler but I must have a koozie when I'm drinking it.

I saw no police/security searching coolers on the beach.

My thoughts about the beach/water. I thought the beach overall was ok but the water clarity was poor.

From our 17th floor you can clearly see big blotches of brown water along the beach. I though it was

from the swash, but it's up and down the beach as far as the eye can see not just around the swash.

I know waves can stir up sand but this was different and we clearly saw better quality in Garden City.

Also the area seems devoid of sea life. I saw no crabs and very few if any small

clams and critters that live in the sand. I also saw very few small fish that usually live close to shore.

Not sure if this is due to pollution in the area? I hope not. Usually, the beaches we've been to are rich

in wildlife. Not here for some reason. Lastly, this beach has almost no shells to collect. To me this is

a very dull, lifeless (aquatic) beach. My smallest even commented where are the seaweed? None here. Our

kids love wildlife and have always caught and released wildlife from the beach but you won't be able to do

that in this section of MB. On a positive side, I think the city does a good job at cleaning the beach.

The cleaning machine does a good job picking up the bigger items but no so well for cigarette butts.

My kids playing sand kept finding them in the sand and made a pile of them; what's wrong with you smokers?

Why can't you properly dispose of them???

We visited Garden City area and found the water clarity and sand quality to be much better. I would

consider vacationing in this area instead of MB.

Try to avoid Ocean Blvd, traffic gets very heavy during late afternoon/evening. We visited Broadway

at the Beach but didn't see all of it. After the kids got their gifts, we got some ice cream and left.

We're not here to shop, been there done that. But I would say this is a better shopping/entertainment

area than the Boardwalk. My youngest wanted to shop at the Gay Dolphin so we drove to the Boardwalk.

It is not an upscale area, you will see people of all kinds here. We saw drunks and people smoking dope.

Is it kid friendly? I tend to say not. Take the family with small kids to Broadway at the Beach. We're

actually shocked that MB hasn't created a better Boardwalk experience for tourists.

Other places we've visited.

Mcadoos Beach Bar (next to Sandy Beach resort): Place is a dive, weak drinks and a bartender that looks like

he's high on something (younger guy). (went on 3 occasions). I asked him what's the most popular drink around

here. He said look on the board. Older guy was nice and helpful gave me some useful info.

Family Kingdom: My kids didn't want to go (they're used to Six Flags) so I went on my own. Lots of rides

for small kids. I think it's nice to have a place like this to go to for a change of pace. I think the all

you can ride wristband is $27.

House of Blues Sunday brunch: The food was good to very good. We went mostly to hear gospel music. Wife was

apprehensive because she thought it was going to be more of a comedy "show" that might not be appropriate

for our preteen kids. But she was pleasantly surprised. The group called Glory gave a really quality

gospel performance. Very inspirational group. We like them so much, we bought their CD. We have a HOB at

home but getting there is very much a hassle.

Conch Cafe: We saw countless Calabash buffets in town and knew those are not the place to go for good food.

Wanting a place with a nice view and based on recommendations from TA, we drove to Conch Cafe. We loved the

area there and would consider vacationing here in the future. The CC is nice enough, not fancy. Let me just

say that if the place is supposed to be a seafood restaurant, they should have more than 2 choices. It's

either salmon or a plate of fried seafood. I figured they would have a daily fish special, nope! So I had

their big seafood platter (all fried items), kids shared the salmon and the wife got the crab cakes. We also

got the she crab soup and side of salad. Having said that, I would say what we did get was very good. The

soup was really good and the salad was a mix of greens and was very fresh. The salmon and the fried items

were cook perfectly. Crab cakes big and very good also. I just wanted more fish selection, especially

local fish. I asked for a local beer, but they don't have any. What?

Inlet Crab House and Raw Bar: We did a quick visit to Murrells Inlet and enjoyed the marshwalk. It was dinner

time so we when to Drunken Jacks but 2 hour wait was just too long for us (they don't take reservations!).

Russell's was also about an hour, so we ended up at he Inlet Crab House. We tried their hush puppies, raw

oysters and peel and eat shrimp. These were really good. But the dinners and she crab soup was average.

We tried the shrimp and grits and seafood pasta. Both were just ok. Again, I don't understand why they don't

serve locally caught fresh fish. Their special was mahi mahi.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay in MB but we will not come back nor recommend coming here in the city of MB where

all the action is because of the stupid beach chair rental situation and the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Beach Resort
Sandy Beach Resort
1,654 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
457 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Garden City Beach
Garden City Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Broadway at the Beach
Broadway at the Beach
7,381 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Conch Cafe
Conch Cafe
682 Reviews
Garden City Beach, SC
Murrells Inlet
Murrells Inlet
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Step Back Into Time
Gift & Speciality Shops, Antique Stores
Bijuju
Gift & Speciality Shops
Gay Dolphin Gift Cove
Gift & Speciality Shops
Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
930 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/25 to 7/29

Yes, summer time in MB has always been crowded but it seems to be more out of control in recent years, and the way the resorts have jacked up their prices, we will not venture in MB during the summer...

2. Re: Trip Report 7/25 to 7/29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach