We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

Hi All -

I have been doing a lot of research, including reading other posts on the forum, about MB and I hope it's not asking too much to put a post on here of my own for some specific recommendations. I am overwhelmed at the moment by information overload...

We are vacationing in MB for the first time this year - leaving Weds and staying for a week. We are staying at Breakers Resort on 21st (?) St.

We are a family of four with two young kids, ages 4 and 5.

For our first time to MB, can you tell me of the absolute TOP "must see" things we should add to our list? We are very open to all experiences and especially love trying new things or perhaps things that are unique to MB, including food. We will be with our kids so we are looking for kid friendly activities - to me all that really excludes is no nightclubs and doesn't necessarily mean we have be at a playground the whole time...

Since this is our first time to MB, we want to focus our trip to the MB area (to me that encompasses North MB all the way south to Pawley's Island)...we aren't looking to do any side trips to Charleston, for example.

Some more specific questions, too -

- We are considering booking an inlet nature cruise at the crazy sisters marina in Murrells Inlet - would this be worth spending an afternoon doing?

- We need to pack lightly, should we plan to bring beach equipment of our own (chairs) or should we plan to rent this on the beach when we get there? Or do the resorts typically have beach equipment for rent for guests? I do know of the umbrella/canopy rule and that's not a big deal to us.

Thanks!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

For the little ones I would suggest a Dolphin Cruise on the Sea Screamer. In addition to the Dolphins, the ride in the boat is fun. Pirates Voyage is a dinner show that was really enjoyed by my children. Make sure to go to the Pre-Show where they have a sing along, entertainment, and fun. Broadway at the Beach to feed the fish, ride the jet boats, hamster balls on water, carnival type rides, and different shops they might enjoy.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

I would definitely take the kids to Broadway. Our 8 year old nephew is visiting soon and I see us going there frequently. He loves it there. They have two sections of rides. One is by Tripps restaurant (which is a good restaurant, probably my favorite in Broadway), this area might be better for your kids. The other section is called the Pavilion Nostalgia Park. They took a few of the rides from the Pavilion and put them in there. Your kids might be a little too young for those rides though. Ripley's Aquarium is at Broadway as well. The admission price can be a little steep but the shark tunnel is really cool. It's good for a rainy day which we seem to be having lately...

I've heard good things about Family Kingdom as well but we haven't been there yet.

Wild Water and Wheels is a good waterpark. It's in Surfside Beach. Myrtle Waves would be closer to where you are staying. But I like Wild Water better. It has a great lazy river and wave pool. And they have bumper boats for an additional fee.

I would also go to Brookgreen Gardens. They have a small zoo that the kids would enjoy. The gardens are beautiful. You could team this up with the cruise at Crazy Sister's Marina. I would do the cruise. I love kayaking in that area.

Regarding renting equipment, you will be in an area where the lifeguards rent equipment. I don't know if the Breakers has their own but I would guess not. If space is a premium, I would plan on renting or even just buying some cheap chairs and an umbrella. I saw a sign that Eagles has beach chairs for sale at $7.99. My guess is that you will only need 2 because the kids will be happy in the sand/surf.

Oh, and the two "unique" food things in Myrtle Beach (1) Calabash seafood - basically fried seafood, you can find this pretty much everywhere all along the Grand Strand and (2) Pulled Pork BBQ. My favorite is Little Pigs BBQ in Surfside on Hwy 544 (don't go on Saturday, 544 is the main road into Surfside for all the travelers coming in from the North, traffic is a nightmare). There is also another one on 17 Bypass and 62nd Ave North. They are owned by different people who happen to be aunt/nephew (nephew is the 544 owner) and the menus are different. The 544 location has more options. And don't forget to get Sweet Tea with it! There is another option to get BOTH fried seafood AND BBQ, Prosser's in Murrells Inlet. I have heard great things about them but haven't eaten there personally, mainly because I love Little Pigs. It's also a buffet so go hungry. They also do take-out. Meat and 3 sides plus dessert for less than $10. It's enough for 2 meals. My co-worker brings in leftovers for lunch frequently and it always smells so good!

Enjoy your stay!

Parkersburg, West...
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

Definitely do the dolphin cruise at Murrells Inlet! It is a BLAST! My family hoped we didnt see any dolphins because they offer another ride if you dont see them, we had so much fun on the boat! You always have to go to Broadway at the beach and Barefoot landing even though both pretty much have the same things shopping wise, Broadway definintely has more for entertainment. I loved Brookgreen Gardens as well! The butterfly room and zoo were very fun, and just walking through the beautiful park there are lizards that will run across sidewalks. I LOVE the Garden City pier, it is free to walk on and has an arcade, restaurant, fishing, and bars at the front and end of the pier. We also always make a trip to the outlets, and goofy golf!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

Alligator Adventure at Barefoot Landing was a lot of fun, I would definitely recommend it.

Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

I agree, Alligator Adventure would be good for young kids. Adults are $19.99 and kids 4-12 are $14.99 but you get in for a second day within 7 days if you want to return. Those prices may be advance sale prices as I found them on their website.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

We rode the Sea Screamer boat tour in Little River last week, and it was AWESOME! We saw so many birds and LOTS of dolphins! Our kids loved it too!

7. Re: MUST see or do in MB for first timers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17