We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort would you pick?

Ohio
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
which resort would you pick?

My family, husband and I 35 years old.Two boys 3 and 15 years old are looking for a fun place to stay.So far we can afford a room with no view at Long bay,Ocean front room at Monterey bay suites,Sea Crest Oceanfront room,or Sea Mist family package.Thanks.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort would you pick?

I live here, my best advice is to stay N Ocean Blvd and not South. The very far end of South Ocean Blvd is okay but the section from the Old Pavillion South is not so desirable. Anything from say 21st N up is better. My next piece of advice, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE MYRTLE BEACH NEWSPAPER each day for beach closings. After a heavy rain many ocean areas of MB will closed due to high bacteria levels. I am sure you do not want you children swimming in that. And the hotels are not known for being upfront about that, chases business away. But if you can have internet access-go to Myrtlebeachonline.com and check out home page it will tell you if any areas are closed. DO NOT LET YOUR 15 Yr Old roam the BLVD without you. He may want to but bad idea. People put down their guard because its a vacation area. Be mindful of them as you would at home. There are things to do in MB, Family Kingdom will still be open, the MB Waterpark, Nascar Park. Things that you will have to drive to. Go online and check out as best you can what the rooms look like, what their pool area looks like, because you will probably spend as much time at pool as beach. If you come in August, the jelly fish are bad.

webster,new york
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort would you pick?

1MagicCat is right on the money , north is best . My choice would be Long Bay Resort . That would pretty much bring 1MagicCat's other suggestion into play - don't wander the BLVD alone - you'll be a good distance away at Long Bay . And there will most likely be other kids around for yours to hang out with , pal around with during your stay so your 15 year old shouldn't be bored .

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which resort would you pick?

Out of Your choice I would say Sea Crest. Sea Mist is in need of some major renovations.

Another choice that I would go with is Coral Beach. We stay there every year. WE anit never had any problems

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which resort would you pick?

Long Bay has a really nice indoor pool area, but the suites are nicer at Monterey Bay (plus the view, plus free breakfast, etc.) Don't really know the other two. Agree that north end is nicer than south end.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which resort would you pick?

I'd go for the O/F room at Monterey Bay. Longbay is a nice resort. I think you'll like the location of Monterey Bay or Longbay better.

I have stayed at SeaCrest several times & found it to be a decent place. However, that was about 5 or 6 years ago & I do often see bad, bad reviews for SeaCrest.

Some places have an angle-oceanfront or sideview suite that is only a few dollars more. The extra space is worth it if you can squeeze out the extra $$...especially with two boys.

Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which resort would you pick?

What a coincidence that I have been online doing research for about 4 hours, trying to find accommodations to REPLACE the lodgings we have used for the past 9 years at....... Sea Crest.

For goodness sake, don't even contemplate staying there!!

I don't mean to "butt in" on somone else's thread, but here is a copy of what I have been putting up on every review site that I can find online regarding this "family resort:"

"I will preface this review with the comment that it is all personal opinion from someone who is not a "professional” hotel reviewer...

My family and I stayed here for 9 consecutive years, 1998-2006. We have, sadly, watched this go from a premier resort, to what seems little more than a gathering spot for the dregs of society, and our experiences here in August 2006 made us finally decide to take our memories elsewhere, for good.

I could write a book, but will try to stick with simply hitting the high spots:

Security seems non-existent. Not only is there no “enforcement” of their own parking rules, but even when guests call the Front Desk with noise complaints, there are, apparently, either too few security personnel there, or those “on-duty” simply do not care. There are unsupervised children of all ages, everywhere, at all hours, along with loud noise and parties until the wee-hours of the morning. Don't expect to get much recuperation from your daily activities at night!

“Family resort,” indeed! Slamming of adjacent doors on your floor, knocks on your own door, and yelling/running in the hallways at all hours of the night seem to be the norm.

I won’t even remark about the Karaoke/entertainment you and your children will be forced to listen to until at least 11:00 PM.....

They have three elevators that are constantly dirty (sometimes even with vomit) and are beyond slow for a 15-story resort. Stairwells, your only other option, are even worse in terms of cleanliness. We once even witnessed human excrement in a stairwell that took FAR too long to be cleaned up! Expect to have poor to non-existent maid-service and room-cleaning. We have had numerous days with no service, at all! Also, you may as well expect problems with TV's/remotes, leaky refrigerators and A/C units, and other maintenance issues which get little attention, if our stays here offer any indication.

Finally, there are major issues with available parking for Check-In, and a very slow Check-In process.

(They need to hire more staff, along with additional maids!)

These things sorely offset the positives of this resort, which includes a fine location, with excellent parking at the parking garage directly across the street; excellent beach access; adequate seating available at the outdoor pools, which are cleaned well, daily; and an appreciable Continental Breakfast each day beginning at 7:00 AM.

What a sincere shame to have poor management over the past few years take such a fine resort/location to such unimaginable levels!"

I will post my question to the local experts regarding their opinion about where I might find "replacement" accommodations for either MB or NMB----- that also offers excellent sharks-tooth and fossil-hunting within walking distance of the accommodations on the beach----- once I have found a more appropriate thread for that question.

Thanks for listening regarding Sea Crest.

Ohio
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which resort would you pick?

Does anyone know about Holiday sands south?Looks like it gets okay reviews.We like that is family owned and operated and a bit smaller than some of the large resorts.Just not sure about it since it is on the south beach.A little concerned since it is not aaa approved.Does not look fancy like some of the other resorts I listed above.Does anyone have any good or bad commets about the Holiday Sands south?It is much appreciated.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which resort would you pick?

I would avoid any resort/hotel with a SOUTH Ocean Blvd address, there is a lot of construction/destruction going on that end, hopefully one day it will be an area that would be worth visiting. Right now there are many old hotels on that end and South OB can be home to a seedier element. Family owned is a good thing, sometimes, others maybe not. Ask the reort how many blocks there are from the Old Pavilion, North or South. That is the hubbub of activity and if you are looking for a little more relaxed atmosphere you don't want to be that close to that area. North Myrtle Beach is more family oriented, of course, you are further from the Ocean Blvd area and Broadway at the Beach, Nascar Park, but you are close to Barefoot Landing. Unless you are looking for LOTS of ACTION/Noise do not stay 21st N Ocean Blvd down to 26th S Ocean Blvd.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which resort would you pick?

IMO...I would look at the north end of MB...in the Avenues...Monteray Bay Suites I think is the best value for the $$ nice rooms, decent pool area with lazy river, breakfast buffet and and evening dessert reception included in the price. Long Bay and Grande Shores are also decent places...Sea Island, South Wind Villas, Dunes Village and Forest Dunes are just to the south of this area, nice beach....

:)

Maryland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: which resort would you pick?

South Ocean Blvd is really not bad and it looks like it it could turnout to be the best of all. Just make sure you get away from the old pavillion area. Stay below The famous Sea Mist. So anywhere from say 12th to 26th or whatever the last street is and you are fine. this area is really getting new and classy.