We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Fenton, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

I was just on their website and it says "Farewell Season" was last year? Did they close it down? My DH was so looking forward to taking our daugther there for our vacation.

Cheryl

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Yes it closed and is being torn down as we speak. Family Kingdom, south of old Pavillion is still open.

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Your daughter will never see the Pavilion the way it was, but Family Kingdom is a decent park with a long train ride, old wooden coaster, carousel and more. The Pavilion is being razed, the old Pavilion building on the beach side was just razed and the park is being dismantled. It's the end of the line for the Pavilion after 50 years. They had a neat looking Haunted Hotel ride, it is still standing, not sure what will happen to it. I was never actually at MB and I was sad when the park closed. It's not just that park, countless other parks closed their doors forever over the years and a few recently. There are haunted attractions on the MB strip. Let's hope and pray Family Kingdom doesn't close.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Just saw on the TV news this morning that nothing will be be immediately built here, the owner is still weighing his options.

He promises only to have all the rubble removed by June.

Some of the amusements will find homes at other parks and a "Pavillion Museum" is planned for some of the other salvaged items...there will be a temporary exhibit until the permanent location is selected.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Thats the question, What will go there. Burroughs and Chapin has been hush hush and has said nothing about what they will build. Of course, Burroughs and Chapin owns majority if MB, we assume it will be condo's/retail/office space.

Avon Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

what is actually left down in that area now? I know Ripleys was down there and a couple bars and other stuff, so i was wondering what was left down there lol?

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

You are right Ripleys Museum and Haunted House are still in operation, there are your basic beach shops, some small restaurants, Bowery is still there (where group Alabama got their start). The area is mainly a place for teenagers to hang out, losing the Pavillion was not the end of the world, it attracted a seedier element, the park had lost alot of its luster, I had not been there in 10 yrs and no intentions of going again even if it did stay open. I hate to think that another condo will be built, only because we are so CONDO POOR right now, hundreds have been built and you can't see the beach anymore for the high rises. That particular area never attracted us anyway. You still have Broadway at the Beach, which offers a small amusement park for younger children, lots of shopping, restaurants and night life. That is our favorite location at the beach.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

1MagicCat wrote: ...losing the Pavillion was not the end of the world, it attracted a seedier element, the park had lost alot of its luster...

You being a Myrtle Beach resident I have to value your opinion, but my family and I thought the Pavilion was great. Well thought out, clean, it was the best little 1-block-big amusement park ever. I was amazed at how much the crammed into that small piece of real estate. You're right about the crowds on the strip being a little seedy, but the Pavilion was an oasis of fun.

Too bad they couldn't have moved it whole over to the Myrtle Square Mall property.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Thats cool that you liked it. I will tell you the past few months much discussion went on about the closing, and it was pretty unamimous the locals could care less and actually, besides the historical factor, they all seemed happy it was going. If you live here and see the area around the pavillion and see what hangs around there, you realized it was probably not the people you would want to be around. I vacation other places and I can understand what I see as something neat, local people think "how could you like that". The Pavillion, according to Burroughs and Chapin was not making any money, I believe it, it never seemed to have any kind of a crowd there. And we lived about 2 miles from there.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

Anyone know where the German Organ went ??

Saxonburg, PA
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Pavillion Theme Park CLOSED?

I thought there was a new development going in where the Pavilion was that had something to do with the Hard Rock?

Ron

Saxonburg, PA