We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Jackson, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Can anyone suggest a route from Michigan to North Carolina avoiding the mountains. I have mountain anxiety sickness and am unable to make the drive. I've tried a number of things but it doesn't work, I'd appreciate any polite responses. Any rude responders please don't reply. Thanks!

35 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Not unless you go way east or way West. You could go south to Memphis and then Birmingham and across I-20.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Yes, you will have to go pretty far west and then south to avoid the Appalachians, which extend from New York into Alabama at their most southern point...long trip around, you might want to consider flying.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Is it the height or the twisty curves you have anxiety about? The Interstate curves aren't that bad, they have posted speed limit of 55mpg, but most can be safely driven at 60+. (except in snow or rain of course) Back roads or secondary roads can be extremely curvy. . You wouldn't take those anyway. Is it steep hills? Maybe if you tell us exactly what the anxiety is we can give you a route that might work for you.

Yes...what about flying?

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Hi, first suggestion is Jackson I94e to 275s to I-75s to the Ohio Turnpike. The second suggestion from Jackson to 23 South turns into 223 South to the Ohio follow that to the turnpike I-90. Once you're on the turnpike I80/90 after Cleveland it turns to I-80 - I-90 I believe in Pennsylvania You will take this to Allentown and take 476 South, this will keep you West of Philadelphia, go to I-95s -Wilmington. You will stay on I-95 and follow it thru the state of Maryland & Washington stay on I-95 South through Richmond Virginia and you're in North Carolina. We have lived in Michigan Pennsylvania North Carolina and now we live in Tennessee. This route you will hit Minor Foothills in Pennsylvania and some and Virginia but they're on the freeway so they're not bad at all. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you check out this route. And remember when you get there you will enjoy your vacation :-)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Please let us know what concerns you. Unless you go a long way south (essentially down to the Gulf) before turning east, you will cross the Appalachian mountain range in one recognizable form or another.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Another vote for flying.

FWIW, a previous poster asked a similar question about reaching a destination in WV by avoiding mountains. After further discussion, and looking at street view on Google Maps, she determined the interstates were going to be ok for her.

This won't necessarily be the case for you, but if you use google maps with their terrain option selected, you can see the mountains you would be crossing. Zoom in on the areas in question, then change to Street View and you can see what it actually looks like. This may help you determine if you would be ok driving a specific route, or if you need to find an alternate route...

Here is a basic map, you may drag the actual route you want to use: https://goo.gl/maps/5W6tCSq4WZ82

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Take I-75 to Knoxville and get on I-40. Exit at Newport Tn which is exit 432. Take highway 25/70 to Hot Springs NC and onto Asheville. Get back on I-26 at Asheville.. It is a very scenic drive and you will miss the mountain driving on I-40. Maybe a 2 hour detour at most.

Edited: 02 May 2016, 00:27
B L
Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Hi. I am planning a similar trip this month. Don't you still hit the mountains in Kentucky this way? I am trying to avoid them completely. I can't get affordable airfare so I am forced to drive.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

I-75 in KY does go through some mountains. You'll have to go farther west to avoid mountains.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina

Have you had any luck with this? I am also deeply terrified of Mountains/heights.

Reply to: Avoiding the mountains from Michigan to North Carolina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted