We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

Indiana...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

We've never visited Cherry Grove before and are wondering if there is anything for teens to do near the Cherry Grove pier? Does anyone know if there are restaurants, ice cream stands or mini golf courses close by? We are traveling with teens and are hopeful that they'll find many activities to keep them occupied.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

www.myrtlebeachskytour.com/2006/swf/p4_14.htm

Young teens (13-15) you'll probably be ok. Older teens (16-18) might be bored unless you let them have the car a few times.

10-11 blocks south to Sea Mountain Highway and hub of Cherry Grove business. Easy walk for kids. Dairy bar, pizza and beach shop there at the intersection.

5-6 blocks out Sea Mountain should be Black Pearl mini golf. Cutting through back streets it wouldn't be bad walk at all. Thinking they have a day pass rate. There used to be an archade there. Guess they still have it.

Bike shop on Sea Mountain called Bike Doctor. Hour, day and week rates. Young teens could cover even more territory on bikes.

Figuring the nights the family will ventire out to other attractions and there will be other teens in the area in same boat. You should be fine keeping them occupied.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

Thanks for the wealth of information! We stayed on Crescent Beach last year and rented a golf cart since we were a few blocks from the beach. This year's rental is only a few hundred feet from the beach and we're debating if we should rent a golf cart again. It sounds as if the teens (14,14, 16 & 17) should be able to walk anywhere they need to go. Is Cherry Grove a safe area? It sounds as if you are very familiar with the area. Any recommendations for good food, bars, music?

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

Very safe area. Cherry Grove pretty much a dead end road. Ends up at the inlet. Not a lot of traffic. Not a lot of "cruisers" or people other than vacationers in the neighborhood.

myrtlebeachscrestaurants.com/Cherry-Grove.ht…

You'll be across the street from the pier. 3500 Beach Grill is located in the Prince Resort. Have never been there. Menu sounds a little high end. On the pier will be Boardwalk Grill. Menu ok. Prices a little high. Atmosphere is great

Down at Sea Mountain. Basil's is a favorite for CG fans. Pizza lovers can't say enough good things about them. I love the Italian sandwich and Strombolis. Great family business. Very flexible with menu. Want something added. No problem Create your own meal. Look em up online or on Facebook.

Another block out. Duffy Street Seafood Shack. Three locations but this one is the "shack". Good food. Great atmosphere. Same deal for online and Facebook. They have a Du Fee Club for coupons and specials for their fans.

Another block out across the street. Two story pink beach house. Hamburger Heaven is upstairs. Small place. Good decent priced burgers. Fun for mid afternoon lunch.

Boulineau's IGA is much more than a grocery store. Hardware, sporting goods, beach supplies. Also has deli/cafeteria. Another great place for low budget, wide variety meals. Sandwiches, soups, turkey, roast beef, chicken and dumplings. Hey. It's a grocery store. Best salad bar you'll find. Two of us eat there for $10.

Boulineau's also has hardware store and golf cart rentals.

Closest thing to a bar would be Harold's On The Ocean. Oceanfront at end of Sea Mountain. Old school beach bar with live music and radio broadcasts from there on Friday afternoons.

Another two miles down Ocean Blvd to Ocean Drive. Home to beach music and shag fans. Couple clubs/bars there for music and dancing. Ducks and Fat Harolds.

Since you've been to Cresent beach in the past you're familiar with Barefoot, Resturant Row, Broadway, etc......To the north of Cherry Grove you have Little River. Turn right onto Mineola towards the water way. Number dining options there.

On up RT 17 and out to Calabash. Great dining area. Callahan's for shopping.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 17:47
Indiana...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

Thank you, Charleston! I've printed out your suggestions and I'm sure we'll visit many of the recommended restaurants. Can't wait to visit SC!!!

WV
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

My family and I recently stayed in Pier Watch Villas II. We would never stay there again. The unit was dirty, the building itself is dirty, the very narrow walkway area between units is dirty and a little creepy. Three of the 6 bedrooms did not have remotes for TVs. The blinds in living room were missing about 10 strips. The smoke detector was disconnected and was on top of the fridge. We cook and the pans were very old and used. Our brand new vehicle was towed off of the lot within 16 hours of us arriving. Cost us over $200 to get it out of tow. One lady had to pay $100 just to get her vehicle off the hook of the tow truck in the parking lot. The contracted tow company is like vultures on turnover, hoping that people will forget to put their parking pass in the mirror. It is criminal. Never saw them again that week. Shame on the building owners for having a contract with this tow company. I hope you use your cut of the money to power wash this building.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

I so agree with your evaluation of Pier Watch II Villas. We were disappointed with the accommodations-they didn't look anything like the photos on VRBO. Our unit was only surfaced cleaned-I cleaned the crumbs out of the glass kitchen table and disposed of the half eaten food items found under a mattress! I am a seasoned traveler and don't expect five star accommodations at the beach, but this place is definitely sub-par!

P.S.: We stayed over the fourth of July. Fireworks off the pier were very nice.

Kentucky, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

May I ask....which unit you stayed in?

Kentucky, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

May I ask....which unit you stayed in?

Indiana...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

I think we stayed in unit 101. It is the first condo on the left if you enter the stairwell on the side of the building farthest from the pool. The entire building is dirty and in need of a power wash. I'm glad we were in an end unit since the long hallway was dark and dreary.

On a positive note, the condos are directly across the street from the beach and the Pier Villa I pool.

WV
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pier Watch Villas II in Cherry Grove, SC

Our villa was #109 which was rented through Carolina Palm Realty. I have gone to the beach at least once a year for almost 45 years. I think that last year was the worst trip ever. It was mainly because of the villa. You can rent a house, in the same area for around the same cost with a lot more privacy.

Get answers to your questions about North Myrtle Beach