We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
257 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

Are they one in the same ??

Are there any hotels on Pawley's island ?

We are thinking of vacationing here and my friend says there are no hotels on the island, only rental homes but when I search trip advisor for Pawley's Island it brings up a few hotels ?

Also, how far is it to Myrtle Beach ?

1 more thing.....is Litchfield Inn on Pawley's Island ?

Thank you for your time.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

Pawleys Island and Litchfield are 2 seperate beaches. Much more quiet and beachy. Your choices are homes and condo's. You will be at least 30 mins from Myrtle Beach. Pawleys and Litchfield are beautiful places, nothing like Myrtle Beach which is mainly high rises and putt-putts.

Litchfield Inn in in Litchfield

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

The closest hotels that I know of is days inn in surside & holiday inn. I've stayed at the days inn they have a pool and hot tub right on the beach. Now your ten minutes away from Myrtle Beach.

charlotte nc
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

We went to that area last year for vacation. We stayed at Litchfield BEach and Golf Resort (I think that is it). It was wonderful!

The hotel that we stayed in was about a 7-8 min walk to the beach which at first I thought I would hate but the room that we had was wonderful, it was so clean and very spacious -had a full kitchen, dining room, living room, seperate bedroom, washer and dryer, nice big balcony that was screened in. There was also a nice pool with 2 hottubs, a lazy river and a kids splash pool.

We drove to Myrtle twice and it was about a 30 min drive but we felt that the less crowded and relaxing beach was well worth the drive.

Let me know if you are interested and I will find out the place that we stayed at -it was actually so nice we are going again this year!

(Oh, if you are in that area you have to eat at Lee's Inlet Kitchen!!)

myrtle beach,sc
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

Pawleys Island and Litchfield essentially run into each other.Pawleys is about 5 minutes further south than Litchfield.In both areas, your best bet is to rent a house.There is a resort, Litchfield by the Sea, with many options.There are smaller inns on Pawleys Island itself- Pelican Inn, Seaside Inn,etc.They are quite charming and oceanfront.There are several hotels- Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc.They are just a short distance from the beaches.Myrtle Beach is 30 minutes away.Georgetown is about 15 minutes.Lots of great restaurants and shopping in the area.The beaches on this end are better than anywhere else.No giant highrises, not much traffic.Huntington Beach State Park is in Litchfield and really nice with lots of trails, camping, and picnic areas.Brookgreen Gardens is on the National Register of Historic places and in Georgetown, there are many great places-plantations, rice museum,etc for touring, old homes,too.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

We have vacationed at Litchfield Beach for thirty years...you can guess how we feel about the area. Litchfield is about seven miles of wide, open beach unencumbered by high rises.

One of the best kept secrets in Litchfield is Litchfield Retreat. It is a six story condominium building located across a quiet street from the beach access, and rental rates are the best in the area. The "V" shaped building surrounds a pool, and the grounds are meticulously maintained.

Litchfield Retreat is located in the residential section of the strip, so the beach is not as crowded as the area around Litchfield By the Sea or Litchfield Inn. The units are privately owned, so rental is available through private real estate companies. Visit the websites of these real estate companies that I've listed in no particular order of preference...we've used them all: Litchfield Realty, Dunnes Realty, The Deiter Company, Sandbarr Realty, Jim Smith Realty and Pawley's Island Realty. These companies will also have other condominiums and single family homes for rent. As with any vacation rental, ask questions about rennovation, and I caution you on how much more crowded the beach is around Litchfield by the Sea. Depending on the age of you children, however, crowded is not always bad!

Dining is fabulous in the area Check out Louie's, Franks and Pawleys Island Deli for an experience that rivals any you might expect in the Charleston area. There is also a specialty grocery/bakery that is in the shopping area behind Piggly Wiggly. The name escapes me, but they have excellent frozen gourmet entrees, sides and deserts.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
292 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

The reason the search brings up the hotels for Pawleys Island is the there is the island itself and then there is the mainland which has the Pawleys Island address. The hotels will be on the mainland, but that is just a mile or so to the island depending on where you stay. We used to have a condo at True Blue and it is a very nice place if you need more than just one room. It's right on the golf course, has two pools, fully stocked kitchen, two or three bedrooms, living, dining rooms and a screened porch. The Litchfield is also nice. The two chain hotels that are in the area are the Holiday Inn Express, and the Hampton Inn.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

Litchfield Beach and Pawleys Island are considered separate beaches, separated by Midway Inlet. Litchfield is north, Pawleys Island is south of the inlet. Pawleys Island Post Office addresses include Litchfield Beach. Both have much less tourist traffic than Myrtle Beach. There is one hotel on the beach in Litchfield, called Litchfield Inn, which is a landmark for the area. Many of the rooms have been renovated, and it has a very nice restaurant.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

attempted to have dinner at litchfield inn - we left. looked gross. and that pool - yuck.

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

We've stayed at the Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort almost every year for several years now (had to vacation in FL panhandle last year due to a family commitment). First two years we stayed in the hotel suites (which is a separate facility from the Litchfield Inn - though I think they renamed & renovated the suites recently). The last few times we rented condos from them and they were great deals. Their fairway units are just a mile drive, maybe, from the beach access and for us it was worth the savings compared to the units right by the beach.

We absolutely love the Litchfiedl/Pawleys area, someone else mentioned Brookgreen, Huntington beach, Georgetown, and Charleston is not far away either. My wife would like us to retire to the area when the time comes (many years from now!)

We went to Litchfield without ever having visited Myrtle Beach, in fact we didn't even venture up to MB until maybe our 2nd trip. For us (wife, myself & 11 year old) MB is way too busy and crowded. Don't mean that as a ding against Myrtle, just that Litchfield/Pawleys is more our style. Just depends on what you're looking for. If I'm remembering right, it's anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to drive into the Myrtle Beach area, depending on what part you're headed to (and traffic, of course!)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused...Pawley's Island or Litchfield Beach

One of my favorite places in the world - really - is Pawley's Plantation. http://www.pawleysplantation.com/

It is a beautiful "oasis" of moss-draped oaks and pines and has one of the most beautiful golf courses I've ever played on. There are lovely villas - one and 2-br, quite the deal as well. Only minutes to the Pawley's Island public beach area. Far enough away from the traffic that is Myrtle Beach yet close enough for a day trip to Charleston or a dinner in Murrell's Inlet.

Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island