We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Which Pawleys Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Hello

My husband and I are looking to come to MBeach for 14-16 days predominantly to play golf. I have made a few enquiries with some online travel agents here in the UK to see what offers they have but generally we have no idea whether its better for us to do a "package" or "diy". The online web site seems very knowledgable saying that for us (we are a middle aged couple who are looking for somewhere quiet but also where we could preferably walk in the evening to a choice of restaurants and bars) would be Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort staying in the Summerhouse part.

Well on this forum I am glad to see that there are good reviews for the summerhouse villas but is there anywhere else you could recommend we stay. Generally the price for the 14 day room plus car hire is 850 US dollars each. They are quoting about 200 dollars each for 5 rounds of golf.

We usually go to Spain for our golf in the holidays staying in an owner's apartment/villa and playing about 4-5 rounds of golf. Each round of golf to include a buggy is usually about 135 US dollars that is 66 dollars each.

So for 1100 dollars each (car hire, accommodation for 14 days and 5 rounds of golf) are we getting a good deal? Obviously we have to arrange our flights but any help you can give me to help with my arrangements would be greatly received.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

If I may make a few suggestions:

1. Myrtle Beach is definitely a golfer's paradise, but to get the peace and tranquility you'd like, I'd recommend staying no farther north than Litchfield. I'd also recommend splitting your tme between resorts - my favorite (though it's a short drive to the beach) is Pawley's Plantation. www.pawleysplantation.com Click on "Golf" then "Golf Packages" - the place is gorgeous. The packages get you golf with cart and breakfast each day, along with a very comfortable golfside villa. (we stayed there many years ago).

2. After mid-May, the rates in the MB area go down since we're entering our hot summer season (that's why the cart is a good idea). If you are sensitive to heat and humidity, don't come between July 1 and Sept 1. If you're extremely sensitive, don't come in June or September either. (Some of us - I'm raising my hand - love the heat and humidity, especially since it means delightful ocean temps (85 degrees) and cool ocean breezes.

3. South Carolina is "golf central" - and as such you might consider splitting your time between the choices above and perhaps driving south towards Charleston. There are lots of room options from beach to historic Charleston, and it is easy to find a nice golf course. Remember that summer is the time we get frequent (and often dangerous) pop-up thunderstorms, so a stay and play package might not be worth it if you stay and have to cut short your golf play due to weather. I'd personally find a few great public courses and book online where you can get better deals.

4. In MB it is hard to walk anywhere to anything (you mentioned restaurants). MB is very spread out - imagine that if there are that many golf courses, that's a lot of land, and they're very spread out and so is the shopping and dining as well. On the other hand - staying in historic Charleston does mean you're 10 minutes from golf, 12 minutes from the beach and 0 minutes (no car necessary) for fine dining and lots of shopping.

If you'd like more info - try the Charleston, SC forum.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Thanks for all that information. How far is Charleston from MB? It is difficlt to judge distances since looking at the map I said to my husband about one hours drive but I am sure it is further. Can you advise? It may be that we do a two centre holiday.

I have e mailed the Pawleys Plantation with our dates to see what they have to offer.

Its weird though because the Litchfield web site looks so much nicer than the Pawleys one. Have you been to the Litchfield Golf resort?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

From Myrtle Beach, Charleston is about 2 hours drive. From Pawley's, it is about 1 hour 15.

I have been to both - Litchfield is beautiful but you should know that it is split in 2 - half on the ocean side, half on the other side of the highway (as I recall). The ocean side is lovely and you can walk to the beach, though there is also parking since you'll probably have beach "gear". This is an advantage for sure over Pawley's IF you go during beach season.

Pawley's is all about "nature" - very very heavily forested with lovely plantings, color, flowers, etc. Although it is a 10 min drive (5 min out of the Plantation and 5 min to the beach) you are in a much quieter area and are close to nice shops and restaurants (though you must get in your car for all of that). Please put "High Hammock" on your "must do" restaurants - it is at the little shopping village called the "Hammock Shops" - very nice shopping. Early in your trip you should acquaint yourself with Murrells Inlet - if you like fresh seafood and marsh breezes, this is the place. Lots of casual to medium restaurants, most overlooking the marsh. If you go early in your trip you'll probably keep going back.

Be sure to take a day and go to Brookgreen Gardens - lovely. Then head to Charleston - quite different in almost every way from Myrtle Beach.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Hey Josie - Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort is a beautiful, peaceful location. We have family members who vacation down here frequently and refuse to stay anywhere else. The Summerhouse is a lengthy walk to the beach, but all of their facilities are very nice. Pawleys Plantation is also a great development, but I am not personally familiar with their package offerings.

All of the resorts offer golf packages, and that is almost always the best way to go. $40 per round is exceptionally low, and I doubt you can come close putting together your own deals. Typical walk-up green fees are $100-125 in prime season on many of the course in the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area, with rates closer to $75 during the hotter months (July and August).

In my opinion, none of the resorts have "a choice of restaurants and bars in walking distance". All of them have an on-site restaurant and bar, but you'll quickly grow tired of them and will want to drive to the many excellent restaurants in the area. As CultureHound pointed out in her attempt to lure you away from Myrtle Beach, you'll want a car in order to enjoy all this area has to offer.

I also agree with CultureHound - if you want to stay in a Metropolitan area and walk to all the restaurants, Charleston is an excellent choice. Be prepared for the city noise and heavy traffic if you decide to drive anywhere. If you're looking for a more relaxing environment, Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort is hard to beat. I also highly recommend touring Charleston for a day or so while you're here.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Thank you both.

I have just had an e mail back from the travel agent since I asked for prices for March/April. The golf package has more or less doubled. He was quoting me for Jan/Feb but I think it is going to be too cold for us. After the cold winter we certainly need some sun. I am going to start looking at say half our stay in Litchfield and the other half in Charleston. Or 10 days in Litchfield and the rest in Charleston.

What about The Broadway and Barefoot Landing. Could this be suitable for us? I think they site says that if you stay in Barefoot Landing then its a few minutes walk to the Broadway?

Thank you both for helping me with this.

I guess staying right in the middle of Myrtle Beach would be horrendous. A bit like Benidorm in Spain?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Pawley'sDude - i'm sure the "lure" comment was tongue in cheek since I'm endorsing a visit to Litchfield and Pawleys. However, 15 days is a long time and this post represents the 1 percent of MB posts where Charleston is a "no brainer" suggestion. (no kids) With Charleston so nearby, why not do 5,5 and 5?

Josie - January normally can be quite cold, and we'll have a cold snap in Feb and even into March. Out of 15 days here in January, don't really expect to golf more than 9 or 10 at best. You haven't mentioned whether the beach is important - let us know.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Josie - March/April pretty well defines our peak golf season, and unfortunately, prices reflect that. Of course, "cool" is relative to each one's personal experiences, but March can be a hit-or-miss time down here. Here are some average high temperatures for Myrtle Beach: visitmyrtlebeach.com/Area_Information/Climat…

Are your referring to Broadway at the Beach (BATB)? http://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/ That's the "Broadway" that most people are familiar with. It is a shopping/dining/entertainment complex that is pretty well in the heart of Myrtle Beach's tourist area. If you're looking for a lot of action in one spot, that's the place, very different from Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort. BATB is about a 10 minute drive to the ocean. Barefoot Landing is about 15 miles away from BATB.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Hi and thanks for your posts.

The beach is not important at all, its just that it would be nice to be able to stroll along the beach but if there are no restaurants or bars then I do think this wont be for us. We decided on MBeach because of the golf. Playing in another country is really nice hence the reason we go to Spain twice a year. But with the euro being so low (or is it high?) it is becoming very expensive in Spain.

Oaky this is what is really important to us in order of prioty:

Warm Weather (does not neccessarily have to be sun bathing weather but at least it must be short or no sleeves weather during the day.)

A self catering place, preferably not high rise but something like a town house. My daughter went to Florida last year and got an amazing deal with flights and stayed in an owner's town house (it was absolutely beautiful). It must have access to a swimming pool.

Short car ride to local restaurants and bars. We will have a hire car so transport is not a problem.

And obviously a reasonable golf course to play on. We are both mid-high handicappers so the big all singing all dancing course is not necessary for us. We prefer a short course that has plenty of hazards that doesn't always require a long carry.

So based on the above I wonder if the experts/residents can recommend something for us.

This will also apply to Charleston since after talking with hubby he says that Charleston sounds good, especially the bit about walking to bars and restaurants.

I have in mind half and half MB and Charleston and will try and see if I can fly into MB but fly back to the UK from Charleston.

Back to the drawing board for me I think.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

Josie - I'm sure there are quite a few places that will meet your priorities, but in my opinion, Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort is still an excellent choice. As long as you don't mind driving to dinner, you'll have a large selection of excellent restaurants within a 10-minute drive. They also offer a variety of accommodations including townhouses. Since they partner with quite a few golf courses, they can help you pick several that match your needs.

For the warm weather you describe, mid to late April is a better choice. We will have some shirtsleeve days in March, but they are hard to plan on ahead. We'll also have some cool, windy days in March.

Splitting your time between Charleston and Litchfield/Pawleys Island may be an excellent compromise. Downtown Charleston is a beautiful area, full of history and excellent restaurants. Hotels are the most typical downtown accommodations, but you may be able to find suitable self-catering places.

10. Re: English couple hoping to come to MB next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island