We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

Which Pawleys Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

We would like to check out Pawley’s Island during our stay in MB. We would be traveling with our 2 year old. Were planning to grab dinner at Quigleys but having a hard time find a few other sites to check out. We like to do some shopping (the village shops were suggested) anywhere else worth visiting? By the way how is Quigleys?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

Quigley's is excellent, it's one of our favorite places. Friendly, casual, good food, and not particularly expensive. Depending upon how hot it is, they have seating on a nice outdoor patio. They also have their own microbrewery with excellent beers.

For shopping, you'll probably need to do that before dinner. I don't think many of the shops stay open late. I'd recommend checking out the Hammock Shops. They've been around forever, lots of interesting small shops spread out under old live oaks, etc. Just a neat setting. If you're coming down from Myrtle Beach, they'll be on your left, well into Pawleys Island. It's also worth a quick drive around the island, itself. It's a totally different beach experience, with some homes dating back to the 1700's. http://www.townofpawleysisland.com/

Brookgreen Gardens is fantastic, but it's at least a 1/2 day visit and may get tiresome for a 2 yr old. If you end up with some time to kill before heading back, I recommend driving up to Murrells Inlet for an evening stroll along the MarshWalk. Beautiful views, with live music in the background coming out of the restaurants and bars. http://www.murrellsinletmarshwalk.com/

Hope y'all enjoy!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

Quigleys! That's Pawleys Island Dude's favorite place! KJR68m, PID and I banter about "artisan" restaurants, several of which you will find in the area, but with you, PID has a "Comrade in Arms." Good choice. :-)

We have been vacationing in the Pawleys island/Litchfield Beach area for over thirty years, and I think you will enjoy the contrast with Myrtle Beach. The beaches here are wonderful, and you won't find high rises or rows of hotels on this part of the coast.

The suggestions I'm about to offer may surprise my TA friend, PI Dude. Our family tends to zone out once we've checked into our house, and we tend to stay on the beach. The beaches are wonderful, and when friends ask, "Didn't you love Brookgreen," we hang our heads in shame...never been there :-0. Mean to, but never quite get to it! I'm an empty nester, and in thinking of what I would do with a two year old in tow, here are my suggestions:

1) Hammock Shops: Don't expect to travel to Pawleys for great shopping, but the shops here are charming. I always stop in the Hammock Shop and General Store toward the front of the development. If you are brave with your two year old, there is a candy store in the General Store, or at least, be forewarned before entering. There is also a cute ice cream kiosk on the grounds and room for a two year old to run around in the center. Carolina Gourmet is another of my favorite stores there. I always bring home some of the "Gullah" food mixes that you will find in the back of the store.

2) Murrells Inlet: If your day allows for two meals, try Creek Ratz toward the north end of Murrells Inlet. It's on the Marsh Walk that PID mentioned, and offers good pub food. I like their crab cakes, and their house salad is almost a Cobb Salad. My husband enjoys their fresh oysters. There's a lawn out back that overlooks the marsh, and your child can run off some steam here. Don't miss "Goat Island." It's a sand bar off the walk area and it's full of goats! Go figure...

3) Huntington State Park: This is part of an estate that was owned by a NYC philanthropist and his wife who was a sculptor. The aforementioned Brookgreen Gardens was part of the estate and her work is displayed there. Besides a beautiful, open beach, there is a lot of wildlife in the park, including a marsh area inhabited by alligators. Chain link fences line their habitat, so you can feel comfortable going there. On the grounds of the park is Atalaya, the Huntington's home. It is built in the open air style of the Moors, and I think a two year old would enjoy playing there. It's really lovely and very unique.

southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/…1020.aspx

4) Georgetown: This town is 20-30 minutes south the the Pawleys and has a lovely historic district. Follow the signs to the historic district and don't be put off by the industrial appearance you see as you drive in. The main street and old homes are charming There is a nice ice cream shop on the main street and restaurants line the wharf.

http://www.seaportgeorgetown.com/index.htm

5) Litchfield Plantation: This is a B&B and private club, but we've been able to explore the grounds. Tell them you are interested in staying here on your next trip, and they will probably show you around. This place oozes traditional Southern charm and elegance, and the landscape here is very different from what you see along the highway. The moss covered oaks are magnificent and there's an historic church nearby with a lovely cemetery. If you are interested in finding this place, perhaps Pawleys Island Dude can tell you how to get there. I'm a little vague on the specifics.

http://www.litchfieldplantation.com/

6) Last but not least, are the beaches: I've mentioned Huntington Beach State Park, but to finish this off, there's Pawleys Island and Litchfield Beach.

Pawleys island is actually a sand bar that has been a popular spot for summer homes since the ealy 1900's. It's the island's famous "arrogantly shabby" character that sets it apart. There is a really nice pictorial book on chronicles the island's history, "Pawleys Island: A Century of History and Photographs" by Linwood Altman and Lee G Brockington, and you might want to check it out at the book store in the Hammock Shop. My favorite parts of the island will be to your right as you drive in over either the North or South causeways. There is public access to the beach across from the Town Hall. (It's one room deep and tiny. PID, North or South Causeway? I move around too much by habit!) The public beach is at the south end of the island, and there is parking there If you go into the water, be careful about the currents at the end of the island.

We spent many years vacationing on Litchfield Beach. This beach is wide and open, and a great place for a long walk. My favorite part of Litchfield would be North Litchfield and the entrance is between Huntington State Park and the Bi-Lo shopping center. There is a light where you make the turn. The road is windy, but keep going forward until you reach Litchfield Retreat, the tallest building in this residential area. There is public access to the beach across the street to the left of Litchfield Retreat.

I guess you could say, I love this place, and I love sharing it with others. Pawleys Island Dude, I guess I've been out and around a lot more than I thought, but we still have to get to Brookgreen...and I'm a gardener!

http://www.litchfieldplantation.com/

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

Mornin' troggs - No surprises for me, although one trip we're gonna get ya' over to Brookgreen, and you'll be hooked. They're all great recommendations, the local Chamber of Commerce needs to hire you. (And Lord knows, they sure need help!) <:-) We're determined we've had our last bad experience at CreekRatz, but I guess it's us because everybody else seems to love it. It's certainly a beautiful setting and a great set-up.

Other than that (and the "artisan dining experiences") we're definitely on the same page, particularly Georgetown. I love to just go wander around down there. Some recent Georgetown pics: www.city-data.com/forum/19794311-post171.html

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

Afternoon Dude! True to our vacation style and after 30+ trips to the area, we finally made it to the Georgetown historic district three years ago and we've returned ever since. Unfortunately, I think the town's industrial appearance from the highway doesn't encourage exploration into the lovely area. It actually took my husband's brother, a first time visitor to Pawleys, to get us go there! He went down on his own, told us how great it was, and we decided to try it. We loved it and go down for at least one lunch on the wharf.

I'm sorry that things haven't gone well for you at Creek Ratz, but we have enjoyed it and so have our guests. It's just a nice, family friendly setting and for pub food, it's pretty good. Kids can run around and parents can sit back and relax while keeping an eye on them. Coming from someone who enjoys "artisan" cuisine, that's a pretty good reference! We're not fans of the "All you Can Eat" buffets or the "Everything is Fried" menus that have been pretty common in Murrells Inlet, but we enjoy Creek Ratz. The crab cake I enjoy is actually quite good grilled instead of fried, and they give you that option. My husband is stuck on the oysters, and along with the setting, it's why we keep going back.

As always, I enjoy your posts and the appreciation we share for the area. Have you seen this book? It's really good, and we enjoy it at home, wishing we were there: Our friends and family members who have stayed with us on Pawleys always pick it up when they are in our home.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_51?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=pawleys+island+a+century+of+history+and+photographs&sprefix=pawleys+island+a+century+of+history+and+photographs

Edited: 09 July 2011, 17:12
5. Re: A afternoon and evening in Pawleys...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island