We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are considering staying at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn. Reviews seem to be good and they are having some nice winter rates. Has anyone stayed there and/or could give recommendations. I like the fact it has on sight restaurant, etc. if we don't want to drive elsewhere.

We would probably book a Lodge room which I understand is not oceanfront but closer to parking lot. Wondered if it might be noisier this location but probably not so much this time of year.

My DH wants to play some golf. Anyone know how to get special golf rates, coupons, etc.? Any of the local papers offer golf discount coupons?

We may drive to MB to go to one of the theaters for a show.

We may also drive to Charleston for a day as that is my favorite place. Any other suggestions?

Just wondered about the weather. Just looked at 10 day forecast and it looks like a couple of days of rain.

Thanks so much. We are going to be heading south tomorrow or Sunday depending upon the winter storm advisory here in New England.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

We stayed at the Litchfield Inn on and off for years before moving here. We loved it, but it's not for everybody. It's comfortable, quaint, quiet and "old beach", but it's far from a resort. The rooms are privately owned, and thus the decor, age of furniture, etc will vary from room to room. We always chose one of the 2nd floor "Dunes" rooms, because they're directly on the beach and the screened porch is a great way to greet the morning. IMO, the tower rooms lack the character of the Dunes rooms. I haven't been inside one of the Lodge rooms in about 5 years, but I think you'll enjoy the other accommodations more.

Lots of golf specials in the newspaper, and the front desk at the Inn will be able to put your husband in touch with some of the golf courses. Ask for special prices - there are a lot of 'em available. It's pretty quiet down here right now. Brookgreen Gardens is very nice, although a little pricey, it's a great way to spend an afternoon. By all means, check out the MarshWalk in Murrells Inlet - http://www.murrellsinletmarshwalk.com/. The Hammock Shops in Pawleys are a pleasant, somewhat unique shopping experience.

There are two restaurants at the Inn. Austin's Ocean One is upstairs, upscale, very good, and pricey. The Cabana (?) downstairs is more informal but has decent food. Lots of other restaurants in the area.

It's always anybody's guess on the weather down here. We've been getting a lot of "chance of rain" but very little actual rain. If you'll bring us a little, we'll be grateful. :-)

Travel safe and hope you enjoy your trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Thanks Pauley's Dude for the info. We left for the south b4 I got a chance to reply. We did end up staying at Litchfield Oceanfront Resort for 3 days and enjoyed our stay there. We didn't pre-book as I wanted to see what the hotel was like first. There was virtually no one staying there so it was not a problem getting a room. The front desk was very nice and allowed us to look at a couple of rooms b4 we booked. We looked at the lowest price offered w/ AARP discount ($49.50 per night). Those rooms were located to the left of the parking lot w/ no views and the room we looked at was not in very good condition. When we opened the door this awful musty smell hit us. Room was average size but no kitchen facilities (there was a micro and fridge). We left that room pretty quickly.

The 2nd room (room 115) we looked at was facing the parking lot and a couple of doors to the right of the registration desk. The back of the room faced the pool area and you could just get a glimpse of the ocean over the pool. This room was very nice and we booked 3 nights here. It looked as if the unit had been renovated as it was very clean, all white walls, etc. and felt very beachy. Had a small kitchen area w/ stove, micro, fridge, dishes, etc. so you could cook in if you wanted to. We paid a bit more for the upgrade but worth it. 4 people could stay in this room as there was a pull out sofa bed.

Thanks again for the info. We did enjoy our stay and would recommend Litchfield Oceanfront Resort but would suggest seeing the rooms first b4 anyone booked. We were told that the units are individually owned so not all units are in the same condition as the one we stayed in.

We ate one evening upstairs at Austin's (not owned by the resort but is a separate entity). We had one of the best meals we've ever eaten, food was excellent. It was very pricey to us and was portion controlled but you got enough food to satisfy you. I would definitely recommend this. Downstairs was closed while we were there so we did not eat in Cabana. Breakfast was very nice w/ good variety of food and was included in our price.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Thanks for the report and glad to hear you had a good visit. Austin's is pricey, but most comments have been very positive.

4. Re: Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:50