We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird photography

Which Pawleys Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
591 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Bird photography

Hi all.

Will be down in a couple weeks and would like to try my hand at photographing some birds. I know that Huntington is supposed to be an exceptional location; can anyone tell me if this is a good time to go there? Is there another place that might offer better opportunities?

I'm still a VERY novice photographer, and I don't have big lenses or any fancy stuff to work with, so I need to be able to get relatively close.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird photography

There's good reason why Huntington is the favorite spot around here, the photography can be exceptional. Getting close to the birds is always tricky and usually the luck of the draw - either they're close or they ain't. :) As far as time, I prefer morning lighting if possible and usually try to be there by about an hour after sunrise, to let the sun get near the treetops. Sometimes, low tide can be an excellent time, drawing birds to the tidal pools and oyster beds on the saltwater side of the causeway. That's probably your best chance to catch them close.

The causeway is the most popular spot, but there's also a trail behind the main office that takes you to a pier in the back of the freshwater pond. There's also a trail from the north parking lot, leading to a pond overlook platform. Finally, the pier behind the Education Center is always a good bet. Good luck!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
591 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird photography

Thanks, PD. Knew I could count on you for help.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
591 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird photography

My friend is interested in getting pictures of most any type of wildlife; is Huntington our best bet for "one stop" opportunities? I had read about a wildlife viewing area at Brookgreen and wonder if we're likely to o any better there...

And back to Huntington, are we likely to see large numbers and variety of birds this time of year, or have we missed the best time?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird photography

Unfortunately, when you're thinking other than birds, squirrels, sea creatures, and gators, the human population explosion down here has been tough on wildlife. We'll see an occasional deer and a few raccoons. Other than that, not much. Brookgreen has a decent little zoo area, but you probably won't be blown away by it. The aviary and the otter tank are both nice. Other than that, a few foxes, a gator pen, some turkeys, etc. Not the greatest photo ops.

There are still quite a few migratory birds passing thru Huntington, but I suspect that will be slowing down in the next couple weeks. There are always some permanent resident birds there, but the migratory period is by far the highlight, and I've never seen anyone attempt to predict when that will wind down.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird photography

If you are willing to travel, you can see some big birds up close at the Center for Birds of Prey:

http://www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org/

They do demonstrations, but I don't know their winter schedule.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
591 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird photography

I don't think the center will work for this visit, but thanks so much for the info and link. I am certain that it will be a great visit on another trip.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
591 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird photography

Had a great weekend at Huntington and was lucky enough to be there when the eagles were in the area. Kinda like a "bear jam" in Yellowstone, only its folks with cameras lining the walkways. :)

It is definitely a good place for photogaphers of any level; even a beginner like me got a couple of pics worth keeping!

8. Re: Bird photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island