We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pawleys or Isle of Palms

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pawleys or Isle of Palms

We always vacation in the Outer Banks , but definitely need a change.

Would you choose Pawleys Island or IOP - it's us & 2 grown children.

TIA!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,174 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

The big advantage of IOP is the proximity of Charleston and all that it offers.

Great shopping, gourmet (or casual) dining, historic sites, etc.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
931 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

My vote is for Pawley's Island. Less driving if you want to go out for dinner or happy hour. Close to MB if you want to do the touristy things.

That said, I have stayed in both and you can't go wrong with either!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,174 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

Less driving that what? There are restaurants, etc on the Isle of Palms and also in Mt. Pleasant. No need to go into historic downtown unless you want to.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

Obviously, I'm prejudiced in that choice, but we've also vacationed @ Isle of Palms and truly, there is no bad choice between these two. It depends a lot upon what you're looking for.

IMO, PI has a more relaxed and quaint feel. With the exception of a couple of inns, there are NO commercial enterprises on the island. "High Rise" is 2 stories. Restaurants, shopping, golf, etc are a 5 minute drive/bike ride across the causeway, into the mainland commercial district. Some of the properties, still occupied, date prior to the War of Northern Agression. Many of the rental properties, including the inns, offer oceanfront views plus piers extending into PI creek on the back side of the property, which make for excellent fishing, crabbing, tubing, etc.

Isle of Palms is also a neat place. Depending upon where you stay, you can walk to some restaurants and bars, and it has a very nice beach.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,174 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

I agree, PI is a very nice place. No high rises on IOP either, tho.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

When we were first married, we went back and forth between the Charleston area beaches, including Isle of Palms, and Pawleys Island/Litchfield Beach. For thirty-plus years, Pawleys has been our home a away from home, and a lot of it is about the lack of high rises. Pawleys is quaint and historic, and fall is our favorite time on the island. The marsh is alive then, and we feel like we have a private beach. The weather is wonderful, and with grown children, fall might work for you. If you can, look for a house in the historic district where lots are mostly one house deep, and if possible, find a rental that includes a dock on the marsh. You get the best of both worlds, with the ocean on one side and the marsh out the other. We do two weeks every September and have found a pet friendly home that makes our trip even better.

My father was from SC, and we had family in Charleston. Those beaches were our destination when I was growing up, but as I mentioned, we've now settled in Pawleys. As far a beaches, I'm a Carolina beach girl, and there isn't much difference among the Carolina beaches. Among the Carolina beaches, the shorefronts are pretty much the same and it's the environs that surround them that change. At least, that's my take on how to compare them. A lot of your choice is going to be whether you want to do mainly "beach" or access to Charleston's historic sites. As for restaurants, Charleston is famous for its cuisine, but the choices in Pawleys/LB are fabulous. Dining is upscale as far as the palette, but casual in their settings. From Pawleys, you can get to Charleston in a little more than an hour, so a day trip there is doable, but from Pawleys, you might also enjoy the short ride to the historic district in Georgetown. It's not Charleston (!), but it's a lovely "village" atmosphere.

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

Thanks so much everyone! I WAS set on IOP but troggs, you gave me a great idea about finding a home with both the ocean & the marsh. Is their a rental co. that you like in PI?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

We are now using Pawleys Island Realty, but in the past we've used all of these companies except Lachiote and that's for no particular reason. They're all good and it's mostly about which one has the house you want:

pawleysislandrealty.com/sitepages/pid422.php

http://www.litchfieldrealestate.com/

http://www.greatbeachvacations.com/

http://www.sandbarr.com/

http://www.dietercompany.com/PetFriendly.htm

http://www.jwsre.com/

http://www.lachicotte.com/

On the PI Realty site, their gallery will give you an idea what I'm talking about. PI Dude, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the houses with ocean and marsh views will be in the area up and down from the South Causeway. Lots are several deep on the ends of the island, but in the middle, you've almost got your own spot on the beach. It's usually not a bad idea to inquire about public access and how close they are to your rental. Do a Google Map search for "Pawleys Island" and switch to satellite. That won't tell you which houses have the docks, but you'll get a picture of how it works and how lovely it is. All of the houses along this strip, however, will not have docks and docks are almost always private. It's usually mentioned in a listing if the house has marsh (or dock) access, and when in question, call the Realtors.

Sometimes, we do the Google Search just to look...we zoom into our rental and let out a big "Ahh!"

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

We have rented a home on IoP for April on the intercoastal! Perfect for fishing, etc! Personally, we love, love, love IoP!

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pawleys or Isle of Palms

I'm a little confused about IOP. It seems that everything for rent in within Wild Dunes. Is this right?

Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island