We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

Hi! We just came across litchfield beach resort as a good option for us as we need only a 4 night rental. We will be flying into Charleston in August and don't really have a heart set on one beach in the area. The biggest trick is finding a rental for shorter than a week - which the resort does.

But on a search several areas came up to choose from. We have an older couple traveling with us along with 11 yr old and 7 yr old. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

"Bridgewater" will be your best bet IMO.

Its right next to the beach, has lazy river, indoor and outdoor pool and also indoor and outdoor hot tubs.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

Your location preference and your budget will probably help you decide. As Winterface said, the oceanfront condos are very nice but usually more expensive. In that area, I'd second Bridgewater, and we've also been very pleased with Fordham and Cambridge, as well as Warwick and Shipyard A or B. They're all pretty close to each other. Choose something other than 1st floor for the best views.

Many of the off-ocean condos are a short walk to the beach. Locations around the large pond, such as Osprey Watch and Oystercatcher are also very popular. If you decide not to do oceanfront, be sure to ask about the walk time to the closest beach access.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 16:39
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

we stayed at shipyard 2 yrs ago..condo was old and dated but was 4th floor on w/ beach view. and a super short walk to beach! we could even get the 8 yr olds up to use the restroom! thats close imo! we love PI...we have previously stayed at pelican watch which was a bit of a haul to the beach w/ all "the gear"...lol....so nice to be able to walk downstairs and be on the beach! fordham and cambridge and warrington are all beautiful but a bit more $$$. we also stayed from thus - sun and booked last minute thru the resort itself...nice and easy that way! enjoy your stay

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
157 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

We have a two year old and always stay at Bridgewater which is ocean front. We have discussed staying at Summerhouse next year because the pool for that building has a submarine play area that I think older kids would love.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

we took our dd and her friend to summerhouse for a few hrs a few yrs back. while they loved it, it was extremely hot up there not being on the ocean. just a though. although, the golf cart ride was enjoyed

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

Just noticed your post. We have made reservations for Litchfield at Bridgewater for July. I have. 2,6 and 8 year old and are very anxious that this trip be worth a 16 hour drive (2 days). How is the beach area there? Activities for kids? Any info appreciated.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

Just noticed your post. We have made reservations for Litchfield at Bridgewater for July. I have. 2,6 and 8 year old and are very anxious that this trip be worth a 16 hour drive (2 days). How is the beach area there? Activities for kids? Any info appreciated.

Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

I have been taking my son to Litchfield for 6 years now. He is now 8. He loves it. We stay in Summerhouse and the pool area is great for kids. A short drive into Myrtle provides kids with so many options its almost too much. And you can take the golf cart shuttle to Summerhouse from Bridgewater if you like.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 17:30
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

How is the beach area there? We are staying in Bridge....(?) and I was told the beach was just over the walkway.

Also, I have heard Pawleys Island referred to as "shabby" ?????? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: litchfield beach resort - favorite areas?

"Arrogantly Shabby" is an old nickname for the small barrier island of Pawleys Island. Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort is on the mainland of Pawleys Island, and there is nothing at all shabby about it. We have family who stay there every year. It's a beautiful, upscale location with excellent beaches.

FWIW, the "arrogantly shabby" nickname comes from the very wise decision by generations of homeowners on the island to maintain a low-key, low-rise appearance to the exterior of the homes, some of which date prior to the War of Northern Aggression. The island has maintained a very casual, laidback attitude and the homes reflect it. Property values on the "shabby" homes start around $2MM and quickly go up. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Litchfield Beach
Litchfield Beach
473 Reviews
Litchfield Beach, SC
Pawleys Island
Pawleys Island
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island