We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

We are thinking of going to Santee (Wyndham resort) for a week the end of August, 2010. I've Googled Santee and am trouble finding what there is to do there. I see there's a Food Lion, Lake Marion, but am having trouble finding nice restaurants and attractions in the area. We'll have our 14 year old son with us, so we'll do a few day trips to Charleston to see Fort Sumter, etc, but I was just looking for some things in the Santee area. I am assuming there is kayaking, pontoon boats, etc. on Lake Marion. What about horseback riding? Any suggestions appreciated.

Has anyone stayed at the Wyndham Resort there? It just opened recently.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

To my understanding, Santee is a small town on the water. I've stopped through there and there is not much to do unless you fish or bring your boat. And it will be HOT. I would stay in Charleston and take a day trip up there if you'd like to see it.

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Thanks shanklemsw for your reply. We are Wyndham timeshare owners, so have to go to a Wyndham resort.

We looked at the Wyndham at Edisto Island, and all the recent posts here trashed it for uncleanliness, bugs, service, etc., so we're staying away from there with a ten foot pole. Also looked at the Wyndham in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee (Seiverville, TN), but are a little worried it might be liked Disneyworld atmosphere, as the resort has an inside and outside waterpark! But, the mountains may be a little cooler in August than Santee, so I guess we will bring our earplugs to TN!

Thanks again for your response. I do appreciate it.

Stafford, VA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

There are two Wyndham properties in Seiverville - they are really close to each other - just a few miles. We did not stay at the one with the indoor and outdoor waterpark -we stayed at Wyndham Smokie Mountains. There is so much to do in the area you will be exhausted at the end of the week! We went to Dollywood (OK but slightly boring for someone who doesn't do rides), white water rafting, horseback riding, hiking, go carting, and saw a few shows. There are plenty of great shops and restaurants but also places (like a quiet hike to a waterfall) to relax. The resort was very nice and had flat screen tvs and wifi. All around great time! Would go back. We have booked Santee for next year and would love to hear from someone who went there this summer. Since the resort is so new we decided to wait until next year before visiting it because I wasn't sure the pools would be finished.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Remember that the interior of South Carolina, even on the lake, will be hot and steamy (!!) in August.

I don't know anything about the Wyndham on Edisto, but I think that Edisto would be a much better choice in August for a Boston family. Breezes off the ocean generally keep the barrier islands pleasant, even when people just a few miles inland are suffering with the heat. The drive between Edisto to Charleston offers quite a few interesting local sites, including the opportunity to visit the Ashley River plantations without going out of your way. From Edisto you can also visit Savannah and Beaufort.

Stafford, VA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

We also stayed at Edisto and some of the units are indeed in need of serious updating. There wasn't ANYTHING to do in the town of Edisto, which, if you really want a vacation where you can just relax, do nothing but sit on the beach during the day and watch the sun set at night - this would be the perfect place. I rather enjoyed not having to run around to a million places - great place to get in some good reading and relaxing - however, I prefer Myrtle Beach over Edisto because you are still near civilization but can also just relax on the beach if you want.

Boston
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Thanks to you and everyone else for their replies to my post. We went ahead and booked Wyndham Smokey Mountains in Seiverville. The one with the waterparks is the one we booked, but it doesn't officially open until Oct. 9. I'm a little afraid it will be a mobscene of little screaming kids, but there seemed to be a lot more to do in the Seiverville area than in Santee or Edisto. Hopefully, it will be a little cooler in the Smokies, too, in August.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Midland
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

We stayed at Edisto for a week this summer in a 4 bdrm deluxe in South Pointe and LOVED IT. Unless you're truly a "Wyndham Snob" it will be just fine for you if you're wanting a beach vacation. It's not fancy like Bonnet Creek or Grand Desert but it's nice. The only challenge we had was wanting to sit on the balconies. None of the furniture on any of them is comfortable and the big ones in the front by the pool are all right next to each other and it gets loud if you have inconsiderate people out there. Edisto is a fabulous retreat. The speed limit on the whole island is 25. Nothing commercial except Wyndham and Piggly Wiggly. We took teenagers with us and they enjoyed it. After all, they like to laze the days away and not worry about tracking sand in on the new carpet.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
98 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Has anyone stayed at the Santee Wyndham resort? We are thinking about staying there in Feb. because it will be close to our grand daughter in Sumter and we could visit after school. Thanks for any input if you've stayed at this resort.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Santte is a very small town that is primarily a stop along I-95. There are several chain type restaurants, Cracker Barrel for example. No quality restaurants. No movie theater. If you simply want to relax and do very little, you may enjoy it. The main focus in the area is fishing.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of Wyndham Resort at Santee for August, 2010

Sorry for the typo, I meant Santee.

Get answers to your questions about Santee