We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santee River Fishing

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Santee River Fishing

Please help.

I have 2 spare days to kill on the 20/2'st June on my vacation from the UK & will have my fishing rod & reel with me (mainly for sea fishing).

On those 2 days I will be travelling between Charleston & Pawleys Island & I hope that someone could advise on the possibility of trying to fish the Santee River area.

If you can help, I need to know:-

Permit Costs

Good fishing areas

Bait/tackle requirements

Boat hire (if necessary)

Comfortable, affordable accommodation

Hope you can help

Dave

12 replies to this topic
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santee River Fishing

Although Highway 17 crosses over it, the Santee River area is remote and undeveloped. The closest accommodations would be either Georgetown, near Pawleys Island, or Mt Pleasant, near Charleston. Your only reasonable option for fishing the river would be to hire a guide, probably out of Georgetown. If you're fishing with a licensed guide, you will not need a fishing license. If you're fishing on your own, you'll need a non-resident fishing license.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 14:05
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santee River Fishing

Thanks PawleysDude,

What if I just wanted to find a motel near the lakes, hire a small boat & fish the lakes for a day or two.

I'm not looking for record breaking fish - they are all new to me so just to catch something different would be a bonus.

In fact, in the UK I tend to spend more time keeping them company rather than catching.

Thanks

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santee River Fishing

Dave - Are you interested in the Santee River or the Santee Cooper lakes? Two very different places. A direct drive from Charleston to Pawleys Island brings you up Hwy 17, crossing the Santee River. There are not really any resources available in that area for renting a boat, accommodations, etc. To fish the Santee Cooper lakes, you would need to travel I-95 to the Santee, SC area, or at least Hwy 17 Alternate to the Moncks Corner area. Both of those places would offer accommodations and perhaps boat rentals, although I don't have any experience with trying to rent a boat on the lakes. If you have a good road map of SC, both of those roads and towns should be easy to find. If not, www.maps.google.com is your best friend. <:-)

Santee, SC is very close to Santee State Park. I doubt they rent boats (don't know for sure) but their website indicates they have a fishing pier. southcarolinaparks.com/santee/introduction.a…

Your biggest challenge may be finding a boat rental. I wish I could help more but I've never tried to rent one around the lakes. Perhaps someone else on here can help with that issue.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santee River Fishing

See bullet number 9 on this webpage. https://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/regulations…

Looks like you can fish the Santee River from the dock there.

ktown

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santee River Fishing

Thanks guys,

Will give them both a good look - Santee State Park looks promising as they've got lodgings (some with piers attached) so my wife can retreat from the bugs if necessary.

Rowelly

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santee River Fishing

Hi, Rowelly.

We have fished with Santee Cajun Guides on the Santee and Lake Marion for catfish many times and usually have great success. I would not recommend that you rent a boat on the lakes, as it is heavily infested with trees just below the surface. Hitting one and taking out your motor can really ruin your day if you are not familiar with the lake. Their web site is http://www.santeecajunguide.com/

My youngest son's first fish was a 32 lb blue, while his record was a 42.4 lb monster. In my opinion no better way to spend the day than out on the lake even if you don't catch anything. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Greg

Edited: 23 March 2013, 14:37
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santee River Fishing

Thanks for everyone's advice - very helpful.

For what it's worth, right or wrong I've decided to check into the Hampton Inn at Santee for 2 nights & drive the 5 miles to the Lake Marion pier & fish from there.

They have tackle & bait shops & (hopefully) advice on how to fish (& which ones bite or sting should I be lucky).

Hope it doesn't seem like a cop out but you've pointed me in the right direction.

What are the bugs like in June

Rowelly

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santee River Fishing

Take bug spray... there will be mosquitos and flies.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santee River Fishing

Thanks - I thought so.

Good news is that they usually prefer to dine on my wife

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santee River Fishing

I am not that familiar with Lake Marion or that specific pier. I normally bowfish on Lake Moultrie but that time of year the peak time for catfish would likely be at night as the big fish typically move up into the shallows to feed on shad, herring, etc. There are some big catfish in both the lakes up there for sure, we recently shot a 67lb flathead catfish on Lake Moultrie.

Reply to: Santee River Fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santee