We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Researching Seabrook

Atlanta
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Topic
Researching Seabrook

I am just beginning to research Seabrook Island for a possible vacation. I am confused about the vacation rental properties. I can't seem to find any beachfront properties, those that on right on the ocean.

Are dogs allowed on the beach?

Are all of the properties in a "planned community?" How big is the island?

Thanks. Any comments are appreciated. If it helps, I am used to St. George Island in Florida. It is a long, skinny island with a gated community at one end, a state park at the other, and homes and condos in between. In searching for rentals there the filters are beachfront, beach view, beach access, etc.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Researching Seabrook

This map at DiscoverSeabrook.com should help you.

www.discoverseabrook.com/interactive-map/

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Researching Seabrook

There is a reason you will not find many Seabrook Island rentals right on the ocean. When Seabrook was being developed preserving "nature", including the ocean-front area, was of top concern.

Specifics about Seabrook: The Town of Seabrook Island includes Bohicket Marina and everything from Freshfields Village to the security gate of Seabrook. Behind the gate of Seabrook is a planned community of roughly 2,700 properties. Of those properties, ~25-30% of the owners are considered full-time residents (they live on island more than 180 days/year).

The beaches of Seabrook are "private." Owners and their guests have full access. Dogs on leashes are welcome on the beach. There is an off-leash area located at the tip of North Beach.

What size rental property are you looking for? The following villas/condos have some water views:

Pelican Watch Villas are (mostly) one-bedroom villas with water view of the Edisto River (some may have an ocean view); Atrium Villas and Spinnaker Villas, located across from the Beach Club area, are two bedrooms; North Beach Cottages are three bedrooms.

Sealoft Villas, where I own, have no ocean view but are located a quick 5-7 minute walk to the beach. Sealofts are 2 bedrooms plus a loft. Treeloft Villas are similar to Sealoft in layout. No water view here and a quick bike ride to beach. High Hammock Villas (one bedroom), Tarpon Ponds (3-4 bedrooms), and Summerwinds (3 bedrooms) are located farther from the ocean and would require a bike ride to a boardwalk.

Seabrook Island is a special place. The speed limit is 25 mph and is closely monitored. Only owners and their guests are allowed through the security gate. You can't just arrive at the gate and ask to be allowed to drive around the island :)

Hope that helps.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Researching Seabrook

Thank you very much for this info. It clears up a lot of the questions I had. I couldn't make sense of this area until I read your explanation. I love the privacy aspect of what you've described. Now, I just have to research rentals, restaurants. etc.

The map is also very helpful.

How large is the island?

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Researching Seabrook

According to Wiki, Seabrook is 7.1 sq miles:) The main road which loops the island is Seabrook Island Road. It too is ~ 7 miles.

With regard to restaurants, the only restaurants you will find inside the gate are those owned/operated by the private Seabrook Island Club. Pelican's Nest is the beachfront restaurant; Bohicket's is located in the Island House and operates only certain times of the year. Palmetto Room is the nice dining room. We enjoy Sunday brunches here.

Asian Fusion has recently opened right outside the gate of Seabrook (It opened in the old Lucy's Red Sky Grill location). Reviews are mixed possible due to opening too soon.

At Bohicket Marina, the staples are Fischer's (don't be put off by the looks of this place; locals eat here. I love the patty melt!), Red's, and Rosebank Cafe. I'm not sure Danny Boy's pizza is open any longer.

Freshfields has several eateries--King St Grille (sports bar atmosphere), La Tela (brick oven style pizzas and other italian), Hege's (french style), Vincent's Soda Fountain (hamburgers and milkshakes!), Ladle's Soups and Sandwiches (love the grilled cheese). Quick meals can been found at Java Java, the coffee house, Newton Farms grocery (lots of already prepared foods), and The Station (gas station/convenience store).

Perhaps our favorite restaurant near Seabrook is Crave! It is easy to miss. It is located on the right side of the road before the traffic circle at Freshfields. Crave has prepared items you can pick up and take home.

There are other restaurants which will require a longer drive--Chez Fish, Fat Hen, Wild Olive.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Researching Seabrook

We've been to Spice several times, enjoyed it each time.

Danny Boy's is gone.

We too like Red's for the view and the great back patio.

Also, a short drive, are Sunrise Bistro, JB's Smokeshack and there's a new deli just across the street from Fat Hen, I can't remember the name. They advertise that they have all the standard deli favorites, as well as their "Lowcountry" version...should be interesting.

Seabrook Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Researching Seabrook

There also some spectacular dining choices on the adjacent Kiawah Island

Atlanta
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Researching Seabrook

Thanks everyone for these great answers. It is really helpful.

Are there shells on the beach at Seabrook?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Researching Seabrook

To access the restaurants on Kiawah you will have to make reservations, so keep that in the back of your mind...they are good restaurants, the menus are on-line through the Kiawah Island Golf Resort.

I would suppose there are shells on Seabrook, the same as Kiawah...they are generally not pretty as they have been tossed aroumd in Atlantic storms, but yes, there are shells. Don't expect what you would find on Gulf beaches.

Huntersville, NC
Level Contributor
58 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Researching Seabrook

Seabrook Island is a hidden gem. We are finishing up spring break week now. You will not go wrong. The island is beautiful and quiet. We love the club restaurants. The more formal restaurant (Palmetto Room or Bohickets) have the best food in the area. The Pelican's Nest is directly on the water and great casual eats. You do need an amenity card to eat at either of these restaurants. Beyond that, Fat Hen (Upscale Southern), Wild Olive (Italian) and JB's (BBQ and Fried Chicken Buffet) are all excellent but a little further away (worth the drive). The restaurants outside the gate at Bohicket's and Freshfields are solid but not spectacular. Crave is a neat little place but not our favorite. Hope you enjoy!

Oxford, Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Researching Seabrook

We are heading to Seabrook next week. Does anyone know if the pools are open yet? Heated? Thanks for any info!

Get answers to your questions about Seabrook Island