We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

during the motorcycle rally

Which Deadwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oak Ridge, Missouri
1 post
Save Topic
during the motorcycle rally

We are planning a trip to Deadwood apx July 29-30 and just found out that is about the time that they have the big motorcyle rally. We were not planning on making reservations, we were just going to drive and stop somewhere. Would it be recommanded that we go ahead and make reservations?

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: during the motorcycle rally

Welcome to the forum. :)

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally won't have started yet at that time so you should be fine. If you are there during the rally you definitely want reservations (and they typically charge higher prices as well). Remeber there isn't a whole lot in the way of civilization in SD (Rapid City is "the metropolis" at about 60,000 people) and this event draws over half a million visitors. The official dates this year are Aug 9-15, early arrivals would be start of August.

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: during the motorcycle rally

You may want to book rooms now." Days of 76" will be going on in Deadwood at that time. We will also be in Deadwood at that time. I booked our room a few months ago, but I always book early if I know I am going to be in a certain area on exact dates.

Level Contributor
271 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: during the motorcycle rally

Shep is right, Days of 76 will be going on while you plan on staying in Deadwood.

http://daysof76.com/Schedule.aspx

So then yes, you should probably book your room prior to arrival.

Do you have an idea where you would like to stay (i.e., mainstreet, etc...)?

What's your budget and preference?

The immensely beautiful and sometimes quaint Deadwood can also be both smokey and disappointing to some more family oriented non-gamblers from various trip reports that I have read here.

Note please though, there's definitely more to do than just gamble in Deadwood, it's actually a great base location to explore the Black Hills.

I'm sure myself and others on Tripadvisor could help you out a bit more :)

Ask away and have fun on your trip...

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: during the motorcycle rally

The lodging prices will already be at a premium that time of year anyway. The need for booking early as possible is to ensure you secure a place to stay.

5. Re: during the motorcycle rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Deadwood