We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Which Deadwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

How long does it take to get to Little Big Horn Battlefield from Deadwood? And is it worth taking the detour to see it?

We're also driving to Cody where we will be staying overnight before driving to Yellowstone the next day. We'll be staying 2 nights, one night at canyon lodge cabin and 2nd night at Grant Village. What is the best way to go- thru North entrance to Mammoth first or East to Old Faithful. Is there much road construction? What is the difference in travel time?

Anyone have a good plan to see as much as we can in the 2 days we have there?

thanks for the help

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Hi, Don't know if this is any help but we our doing this section as part of our trip to US next year.

We plan to leave Deadwood via Belle Fourche taking the 212 in Montana (believe this is a scenic route), stopping off at Little big horn site for a couple of hours.

We will then make our way to the town of Red lodge to stay night. I believe Red Lodge to be a nice little town and it where we will start the 'DRIVE' down the beatooth highway onto the Chief Joseph highway stopping in Cody.

From Cody we will take the US 14/16/20 road into YNP heading towards Lake Jct onto West yellowstone to stay night. Granted we will have more time than you.

But maybe this will help.

Mileage i have is Deadwood (via 212) to Red Lodge (via LBH) 383 miles about 6 hours drive

Little big horn i think is abvbout 120 miles 2 hours to Red Lodge area.

I use a site called www.freetrip.com to calculate distances for hols.

hope this helps

Ann

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Hi, Don't know if this is any help but we our doing this section as part of our trip to US next year.

We plan to leave Deadwood via Belle Fourche taking the 212 in Montana (believe this is a scenic route), stopping off at Little big horn site for a couple of hours.

We will then make our way to the town of Red lodge to stay night. I believe Red Lodge to be a nice little town and it where we will start the 'DRIVE' down the beatooth highway onto the Chief Joseph highway stopping in Cody.

From Cody we will take the US 14/16/20 road into YNP heading towards Lake Jct onto West yellowstone to stay night. Granted we will have more time than you.

But maybe this will help.

Mileage i have is Deadwood (via 212) to Red Lodge (via LBH) 383 miles about 6 hours drive

Little big horn i think is abvbout 120 miles 2 hours to Red Lodge area.

I use a site called www.freetrip.com to calculate distances for hols.

hope this helps

Ann

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Will be a long day. Count on 4 hours to get from Deadwood to Big Horn and on 3 hours from Big Horn to Cody. We spent 2 hours at the Battlefield. There also is Devils Tower more or less on your way. Don't know if you also want to visit Devils Tower. The route Annriley is taking is great but not a daydrive. Drive to Red Lodge that day for the night and via Beartooth and Chief Joseph to Cody next morning, or drive right into Yellowstone from Red Lodge via Beartooth, Cooke City and Lamar Valley but you'll miss Cody then.

Tet

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Thanks all for the info. We're leaving Deadwood Wed. morning to travel to the Little Big Horn. Staying overnight in Sheridan, then traveling to Cody the next morning, staying overnight in Cody. Next day traveling to Yellowstone for 2 days/nights. Does this sound doable? Is there alot of road construction in Yellowstone? Does is make more sense to go to the East entrance and see Old Faithful first or take the norheast entrance and go to Mammoth first? Not much time and alot to see. What's a good plan?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

That's a great plan and certainly doable staying Sheridan and next day to Cody but with that short for Yellowstone it even is possible to drive to Cody and to Yell that day by its east entrance. For travelling in Yell, we always just wing it. With staying in Canyon first I start Cody very early, drive to Canyon Village via its east entrance and the upper loop then (counterclockwise imo). Then next day drive the lower loop via Norris first, to Old Faithful and the spots in between and to Grand Village eventually.

Tet

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Dear Tet14,

In Cody, we want to visit all the Buffalo Bill museums and go to the rodeo in the evening. Do you think we would have time in the morning to see much in Yellowstone then go back to Cody for the museums and rodeo and our hotel?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,110 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

NO- it is about a 2 hour drive from Cody to the east entrance. Do what Tet said and you will be fine. Enjoy the museums, walk around the town, eat a nice dinner at Wyoming Chop House and go to the rodeo. We did this and it took most of the day when we were there in June 2008. Here is a website to let you see what experts think are the must sees in YNP-

www.yellowstone.net/topten

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

Staying in Cody always is nice and visiting the Museums a must, even if it's only short. We have not been to the rodeo because we always travel off season. So I fully agree with what PeachBelle has said. It's a very scenic drive between Cody and Yellowstone's east entrance. Maybe also stop first at the lake and Buffalo Bill Dam just west of Cody.

Tet

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

A blended option of some of the above since you are stopping for a night after Little Bighorn Battlefields. Instead of Sheridan swign up towards Billings and down to Red Lodge for the night. Really pretty little town and the entrance to the Beartooth Scenic Hwy. It is a spectacular route and well worth doing. Easy (even with annual construction) to get to Cody in a morning. Best time to drive is in morning anyway before clouds and thunderstorms build on peaks. Then Chief Joseph to Cody and do museums in afternoon and rodeo at night.

Many people do Beartooth all the way to NE entrance and Lamar Valley to Mammoth Hot Springs but with Cody in the picture do the East entrance,

Post in Wyoming forum for YNP destination experts. I suspect Voyaging has a two day itinerary already developed.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Deadwood to Battle of the Little Big Horn

thanks for your help.

We can't wait to get out there!

mommom

Get answers to your questions about Deadwood