We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

Alabama
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

We are thinking of doing a day trip to Deadwood from Rapid City early fall and know it 's a 45 min drive via I-90. How is the terrain along I-90 and US-14 Alt? My husband is a bit afraid of heights and realize the Deadwood elevation is 4533 ft. Are there scary drop-off vistas along the way? Thank you for your help.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

About the only road in the Black Hills region that might freak people out would be the drive up Mt. Coolidge in

Custer State Park. I-90 is very benign in SD. This region is nothing like driving in the Rockies, for example.

Alabama
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

Great news. Thank you!

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

What's the terrain from oklahoma to south dakota. Is there a lot of high terrain?

Edited: 26 July 2014, 07:03
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

Kenny, do you mean the eastern side or the western side? Can't help you with the western half. As far as the eastern half, the furthest south I've been (by car) is Kansas City and that was traveling I-29. Everything between KC and Sioux Falls (where you'd pick up I-90) is either going to be flat or rolling hills. No high elevations in anything on this stretch.

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

Rapid City is already at 3,200 ft. so its not that much of a climb to Deadwood. Most of our roads follow canyons so the mountains are on both sides. You are not hanging off the side of mountain looking down.

Sioux Falls is 1,470 ft. so you have done most of your climbing before you get here and don't even know it.

I think the highest elevation between here and Oklahoma is the top of a grain elevator.

6. Re: I-90 Terrain from Rapid City to Deadwood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Deadwood